First, I got everything stamped. I pulled some really old Robyn Pandolph fabric from my secret closet. This is so old that Moda didn't even print the name of the line on the selvege back then. I cut five inch strips and stamped. Fabric decision and stamping - one hour.
I stamped each template twice because Jeanneke said you could do it twice from one inking. I used my rotary cutter to cut apart the itsy bitsy pieces. Cutting apart the pieces - two minutes.
Then I laid out all the pieces. I don't remember now if this is the correct lay-out or my first attempt. There was some switching around that took place. Lay-out - five minutes.
Okay, how easy is this to sew together? Right? I machine sewed all the rectangles, everything below the roof. I used my regular stitch length which was way too long. Should have shortened the stitches. Machine stitching - two minutes.
Anyway, when I got to the roof, I realized, "Houston, we have a problem!" Yikes. Those are Y-seams! And those two pink do-dads up at the tippy top, the chimneys, are only about a half inch. I gave it the old college try. Four times! Nope, it didn't work. Failed attempt at Y-seams - 30 minutes.
I finally had to admit that I needed to hand piece that roof. I have never hand pieced anything. The very first quilt show like four months after I started quilting, I signed up for what I thought was a hand quilting class. Turns out it was a hand piecing class. I escaped the room very quickly. In hindsight, I shoulda stuck around!
I had no clue - none - on how to proceed. So I just double threaded a needle with the cotton thread that was on the sewing machine and gave it my best shot. Hand piecing the roof - 15 minutes.
ROFLOL. Obviously this is a reject, a learning block, but it's hilarious. All of my stitches are showing. Go ahead, enlarge the picture! I dare you!! I don't know what kind of stitch to use. The whole darn house looks like it barely survived a hurricane, but it did come to the right size .... 3.5" unfinished. Hey, that counts for something, doesn't it?
I do know that ironing the seams down doesn't work when you're hand piecing. But it was too late because I had already ironed them down.
I'm going to try another one and hand piece the entire thing. First, though, I need to dig through the tons of quilting books I have to see if any of them will shed light on this subject. Lots of light!!
Total time wasted -- just under two hours.
Total fun time playing with the block -- just under two hours!!!
I went to Amazon to see if they had books on hand piecing. The first one on the list was Quiltmaking by Hand, Simple Stitches, Exquisite Quilts by Jinny Beyer. I have that one!!
I'm going to fix lunch and READ about hand piecing for the rest of the afternoon!!
Another Update: I tried again hand piecing the whole block. It's still horrible. But at least I put it together correctly. The one on the left is the first one I did, and it has the door and window reversed. The one on the right is the second one that I hand pieced. It must have gone through the same hurricane as the first one. They were probably next door neighbors.
Obviously this will be a long learning curve for me. I need to get the Brrrrr Park finished and then I can try a third time. They say, third time's the charm - but I'm not betting my next paycheck on that!!