Sunday, April 25, 2010

Stash Report 2010 - Week 17

Jane and I took off yesterday to see if we could get into any trouble ... an adventure! We had a lot of fun despite the fact that we didn't get lost even once! (Boy, have we got stories about getting lost!)

Three quilt shops in six hours. I think we both touched everything in those stores at least once. Some things we touched twice. But applying the three-touch rule, we ended up with a few things and walked away from others. I could have gone absolutely nuts, though, because one store had Prairie Paisley by Minick & Simpson in the 40% off area. Wanted it all, but then cooler heads prevailed. I have oodles of it already. And there was the most gorgeous broken dishes quilt kit, but passed on that, too. It was so hard not to pick it up the third time! Sigh.

So this is what followed me home:



Whimsey by Fig Tree, 12 yards. I'm all inspired by the Schnibbles Times Two book, and I have enough, with the charm packs and layer cakes I already have, to make a couple of those quilts. Check! Okay, no more Fig Tree. I have enough to cover the world in quilts, but it's irresistible when I touch it. I didn't put my hands in my pocket after the second touch!! I never learn!

I've been looking at toweling online, but I wanted to see it in person before committing. Well, one store had some and some cute towels on display with needleturn applique. I was a goner. I picked up three yards, enough to make four towels. Have I ever mentioned I love kitchen towels? I do. I inherited that gene from my mom. I can't wait to do something with these. Now I know what to get while browsing online. There was also this neat flag fabric, 20" wide and hemmed on both sides. I just picked up a tiny piece of that which I'm not even going to count. Just wanted to see if I could figure out something to do with it.



It's a good thing we're not stash-counting books and patterns, though. I picked up two books, "Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts" by Pam and Nicky Lintott, and "A Bird in Hand" by Renee Plains. An absolutely wonderful pattern called "Gathering Baskets," Primitive Pieces by Linda; two patterns by Clothesline Quilts called "Gettysburg" and "Fredericksburg"; and two small quilt patterns, "Tumbleweed" by Renee Plains and "Grandma's Attic" by Heartspun Charms. My camera batteries just died, so I'll have to post a picture later of those.

The day was wonderful, and we capped it off by snagging Jane's sweet DH to take us to dinner. I don't think I've been anywhere since the quilt show in January. It felt good to get out and enjoy myself without worrying about financial statements and taxes!

Year-to-Date Totals:

Busted: 104.125 yards
Purchased: 150.625 yards
Net YTD: (46.50) yards busted :(

11 comments:

Yvette said...

OOOOOH!! What shops did you go to ???

Unknown said...

Ok now does this Prairie Paisley store have a website???
I too collect kitchen towels, and it's genetic I'm positive.
Books should count against the stash since they are inspiration to use the stash up.

pdudgeon said...

you're gonna love the "Layer Cake, Jelly roll, and Charm Quilts" book.

i've made some quilts out of there and have plans to make more. that's my "go to" book now.

Carol said...

Sounds like a super fun day! I might have to get some of the toweling yardage too. Have fun with the Whimsy fabric. I really like that fabric line.

Suzanne said...

You did really well going to three shops and only buying what you did!

Anonymous said...

What shops did you go to? I went to Quilter's Coop yesterday, it was packed in Temecula! I might go to Fat Quarters next weekend.

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

You're amazing. I can't believe you didn't grab the PP fabric...40%off!?!?!

You may be in the red, but your numbers are much better than last year at this time. Baby steps.

Carol said...

I'm so glad you had a fun, fun day. You have so much control...40% off I'm afraid another slew of yards of Prairie Paisley would have to come home with me. What is it about that fabric? Can't get enough.

Lori said...

I want to shop with you, getting lost is fun!

Sharon said...

Looks like you had a great day, it is fun to get out and play once in a while!

Quiltsmiles said...

What fun! Sounds like you enjoyed a perfect day. Don't worry about your numbers, you'll be using them up in no time. Love your Anne Sutton - Bunny Embroidery. I have one in to do, but haven't started a stitch yet. Trying to finish up more UFOs and other challenges first. Yours looks great so far. Jane