Saturday, December 13, 2014

Progress

The other LA has been a place of whirlwind activity for the past week.  Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, jungle whackers -- but the most important of all, my friend Sally.  She flew into town on Monday and has not stopped flying since she's been here!

The boxes in the last post are gone but for a few that I need to decide what to do with.  The quilting cottage was attacked yesterday.  At first we could go no further than opening the front door and looking at boxes stacked almost to the ceiling.  There are still a ton of boxes, but the stash closet is shaping up.


It's about 60% full at this point.  The shelves on the right are holding bolts and flat-fold backings.  I'm sure things will be shifted around as I work in there, but it's nice to have 13' shelves to put the stash on.  Except for the top shelf, the other shelves are 12" deep.  Maybe I could have gone a little deeper with those but I didn't want fabric right up against the doorjamb.  By the end of today we hope to have the books put away on shelves on either side of the fireplace.  The "extra" fabric will go upstairs but that part will have to wait until we have brawn onsite!

The kitchen took us (I say that tongue-in-cheek because Sally did all the work!) almost two days.  There are tons of cabinets and drawers.  It was a lot of deciding what went where.  It really looks nice now.  Here's an in-progress picture of the pantry.


Since I'm still gimping around, it will most likely take me a few months to get everything where it's supposed to go.  I'll just have to take baby steps now, both literally and figuratively.  The knee is some better, the brace keep falling down my leg, and I need to get PT scheduled.  I'm getting real tired of pushing the walker around but it's a necessary evil at this point.  Looking at the bright side, the seat does work for toting around a small grocery basket at the market!

The jungle-whackers I referred to above came in and really have worked magic in the back yard.  I had huge azaleas encroaching on one side of the pool.  While I hate to remove healthy plants, there's now an unencumbered view of the bayou from the house.  They've done about 80% of the back.  The front of the house needs some attention, too, but it's mostly clipping of low-hanging oak branches over the driveway and trimming crepe myrtles.  Again, I hate to cut those but I think the trees will look better and will not be brushing up against the house.

Tall toilets and new shower heads and fixtures will be going in next week.  The computer closet has been wired.  Most of the TV stuff has been located so I can now schedule service here.  A new fence around the garbage can area will be built.  A lot of other things but I can't remember it all right now.  I have a new driver's license and car tags, a local bank account opened .... yep, progress is being made on the bayou!

I couldn't have done any of this without Sally.  Her husband told me to watch out if she puts her hair in a ponytail, to take myself and anyone I love and just get out of the way!  I replied that he should have warned me of that beforehand!  I want to help so badly, but I've gotten real used to her telling me to get out of her way!  I love you, Sal!!

18 comments:

Sherrill said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds very familiar but on STEROIDS! I moved last Sept. and it was a lot like yours (on a smaller scale). Does the view of the bayou mean you might have alligators coming into the yard?! YIKES Good luck on getting everything done with a 'little' help from Sally! LOL

Mary said...

It's so good to see you're managing despite your injury! Things are looking good.

Tricia said...

I love the picture of Sally in her ponytail, ready for action! Like a prize-fighter pulling on his gloves! I could use with a 'Sally' around here...if she is up for a REAL challenge, that is.

Darlene said...

Thank goodness for blessings like Sally. Everything is looking great.

Cathy said...

What a great friend Sally has been to you!! And wow, your new house has some great storage. I love the stash closet and wish I had one. Get better soon so you can get in there and whip up a new quilt.

Katie Z. said...

Yay! I am so glad things are shaping up well. It is such a blessing to have someone to help you.

Karen said...

I have been wondering how you were doing. What a good friend to come help you. Is she a quilter?

badlandsquilts said...

That is so awesome! I am happy you have had assistance getting settled...so glad you have good friends like Sally in your life. Hope things continue to improve and you are enjoying the new LA!

mascanlon said...

Looking good! Can't wait now to see main sewing space. What a good friend Sally is!!!

Churn Dash said...

It looks like it is all starting to come together. I must say I am quite green with envy over the pantry photo!

There again, the quilting shelves look amazing, too.

Helen

AnnieO said...

What a great friend to swoop in and dig deep. I'm sure that was a huge weight lifted off your mind. That stash closet is a dream. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your bayou view.

Carrie said...

All Hail Sally!

I'm not surprised that you have good friends who would do that for you - and I'm so very happy that someone could do it. Long Live Sally - and the "Sally's" of the world.

The house looks terrific and I'm so glad you're making progress on all fronts. Keep up the good work - both of you. :)

Kyle said...

What a terrific post about friendship and all the progress your making.

Becky said...

Your pantry is awesome. So happy for you! Merry Christmas!

Sherry said...

I love your pantry and the fabric closet. I wish my house had spaces like that!

It's wonderful when you have friend(s) that are there to pitch in when you need help.

Have a wonderful day. . . looking forward to more "after" photos.

Laura said...

Thanks for the update! I'd been wondering how you fared after your fall and injury.

Mary-Kay said...

What a great friend Sally is! I was wondering how you were going to get organized. I'm glad you are up and about and I hope once you start PT, you'll be even more mobile. Your new place is awesome!

Anonymous said...

What a terrific friend! Lucky you.....