Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Week Two

Today is two weeks post-op.  I'm now quite the expert using crutches on the stairs.  It would make a health care professional really nervous to watch me, but, knock wood, no crashes so far.

A few days ago my sister-in-law came over for a bit.  She stood by while I made it down the two steps into the sunroom and rolled backwards on my walker to the Cottage.  I pulled a couple of hand projects to work on.  We pulled the little green wagon into the Cottage -- there's a wheelchair ramp at the French doors -- and loaded her up.  I was able to find everything I needed, the light box, bias makers, etc., a couple of applique projects.  I was all set to prep some applique and get some stitching done while watching movies.  Unfortunately, everything that I pulled needed template plastic and I don't know where that is.  Back to Square One.  The next time I have some help over here, I'll get the Ezi table and the 350 in the main house to work on those bindings.
 
The boarding kennel that has custody of Penny has been sending me pictures and yesterday sent a video of her playing with three other dogs.  She's so cute.  The other dogs were rolling around in a tangled, playful ball of fur.  Penny was running in circle around them.  She looked like the referee at a boxing match.  The kennel owner said Penny is the sweetest dog -- I knew that already! -- and has made friends with every dog she's met there.  I have a doctor's appointment on Friday, and I hope to stop by for a few minutes to hug her.  As soon as I'm comfortable going down the steps and rolling on the sidewalk outside by myself I'll bring her home.  She's probably having way more fun there, though!

A new home physical therapist started visiting this week.  The doctor has revised my rehab plan.  I will be able to partially weight-bear sooner than six weeks, maybe as soon as this week.  It will be nice to be able to walk instead of rolling everywhere.  I just need to remember not to overdo it.  I'm one of those "give me an inch and I'll take a mile" folks.  I can't do that in this case.  And just an observation here from a senior citizen - being extremely cute must be a job requirement for being a male physical therapist!  I mean, I may be old and decrepit, but I sure ain't blind!  ;)

My iPhone today decided that I didn't need to connect to the internet.  Don't know what's up with that.  I'll call the service provider tomorrow and see if they can trouble-shoot it over the phone. 

I've taken a few pictures but never have the camera cord handy to connect to the laptop to download them.  I need to get an extra one to leave downstairs.  Something else to add to my things-to-do list.  I tell you, that list is growing and growing.   Last night I finally saw what was setting off one of the motion detectors in the back yard - a gigantic raccoon.  I snapped a picture along with shots of the hundreds of cardinals, a turtle in the very back of the yard, and anything I can see from the windows.  All of the pictures were from afar but if I can get them downloaded, I might can crop them in enough to see what's going on.

It's raining again and thundering.  I hear we will have clear weather this week.  I'll believe it when I see it!

17 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

That's great news that you are progressing faster than your doc originally thought. Don't overdo it with the weight bearing!

Jo said...

No two steps forward and one back if you over do! Good news that you are doing well, yea!

Mary said...

Glad to see this good report on your progress. Keep up the good work and good luck getting set up for working on a project. Can you get some template plastic by mail order?

Sherrill said...

Glad to hear you're home and ready to stitch! That's gotta be annoying to need something and not be able to get to it. Soon, soon! That 'picture' of Penny being a ref made me chuckle! Guess someone's gotta do it, right? You've been lucky having cute male therapists as I recall a couple of REALLY not cute that helped my DH with his therapy before he passed away. Hoping each day gets a little better!

Anonymous said...

You are certainly an inspiration! I've been reading your blog for quite a while and love your determination to do what you want to do, downplaying your physical hardships. I wish you lived near me -- I'd be so happy to help you get any supplies you needed. I'm not surprised you are doing better than the doctors first told you -- that's who you are! Florence

suz said...

so glad to hear all went well. Now you need to do what the doctor says and take it a bit easy. Binding quilts is always a good way to start! Take care.

pam said...

Very happy to hear of your great progress.

Mary said...

it sounds like you are doing quite well. I hope you get to see Penny this week. I know you must miss her terribly. be artful in your progress but keep on improving.

best Wishes,
mary

Karen said...

I was wondering how you are doing after surgery. You are being creative in getting around. Won't be long and you can get rid of all the contraptions and get back to a wonderful retirement life doing what you like best.

Dondi M said...

I have been checking your blog everyday hoping to see this post. I am so happy to see that you are doing so well! Keep on trucking, girl! Your body will certainly tell you if you are going too far too fast. Welcome back to a full life! You are going to feel so much better in a few weeks. My son-in-law had this surgery over a year ago. It is true it takes a full year to recover completely, but after one month, he was on his feet almost all day doing surgery on others. By night, he was icing up his knee. But still, he was up and at it. Before surgery, he wasn't chasing his kids around the house or tickling them. Six weeks after surgery, the normal roaring and chasing around the house had resumed! Oh, it sounded so jolly and merry again! I wish you the best of recoveries.

Sherry said...

Glad to see a blog post from you. Been wondering how you have been making out.

It must be a relief to know that Penny is having a good time at boarding. . . but don't kid yourself, home with you is where she will want to be when the time is right. (One of my furkids would climb on my back if she thought it would get her closer to me. . . but as she is a "very mature" lady she has a hard time even just getting her front paws on my knees these days.

Listen to the doctor, and the physical therapist, and soon you will be back up and running on all cylinders.

Lindah said...

So glad to know that you are making good progress. Altho, I must admit that it scares me just to imagine negotiating those stairs on crutches. You are brave!
Mary's idea of template plastic by mail is a good idea --especially with Amazon's fast delivery. Whatever it takes to keep you busy, but in good recovery mode. :-)
Blessings!

Mimi said...

Sounds like you are making great progress. Hopefully you will up and around long before you thought you would be and then "world....look out!"

Susan said...

I'm glad to hear that you're making progress and feeling better! It's nice to hear too that Penny is enjoying her stay at the doggy motel and has made new friends. That must be a huge relief for you knowing that all is well with Miss P. Just a thought about your applique projects, could you use a double layer of freezer paper? Keep on keeping on and don't overdo it!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

wonderful to hear you are healing quickly! Sorry to hear you can't work on your projects yet. I would be climbing the walls!

Pollyb said...

So glad to hear that you are as spunky as ever. It's too bad we never managed to meet when you lived in Upland and I worked in Claremont. You are an inspiration to quilters everywhere!

Sherrill said...

HEY! It's been 3 weeks without word. Sure hope the progress is continuing and you're almost ready to walk without aid. Hope to hear all is well and you've just been busy!