Sunday, April 24, 2016

Losing Track of Time

I always have the best intentions and then things go wonky.  Before I know it weeks or months have gone by and my best intentions have fallen by the wayside.  There always seems to be something going on that swallows up my quilting time.

My flower beds have been ignored during the peak weed-growing season.  I walked around the yard yesterday and was amazed at how much is blooming and how the weeds have flourished.  Purple irises are blooming - a surprise planting that I inherited with the house.  I was tempted several times to pull up those things because I didn't know what they were. Glad I didn't do that!


I saw this "weed" in a crack in the sidewalk by the pool.  On closer inspection I saw that it's a teeny tiny poinsettia that volunteered there.  I immediately thought of the book A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  Well, the tree part, not the rest of the depressing book.  Anyway, this morning I gently tugged on it and it came out roots intact.  I planted it in a clay pot.  We'll see how it fares.  I may have doomed it but it was going to get a dose of Round-Up if I left it there.


My first project went up on the new design wall.  I shuffled things around a bit and got it all assembled.  Just need to get a backing pieced and it's another one in line to get quilted.


I went through the yardage stash and found a good backing for this one.  It's the one on the left, Chasing Butterflies by RJR Fabrics.  I also found a backing for the Moda Modern Building Blocks, the one on the right, an old Jane Sassaman line called Butterfly Gardens.  I guess it was a butterfly kind of day when I went searching!  I've been wanting to use that Sassaman fabric for a long time.  While it's not a perfect match color-wise to the Modern Building Blocks, I think it will do fine.  Besides, isn't it "free" fabric when you find it in your stash?  ;)


I'm pondering what's up next on the design wall.  I have several quilts that just need an assembling of the blocks.  I'm wanting to start a Village (Carrie Nelson pattern) but I think I'll hold off just a bit until I get at least two more ready for quilting.  That's the plan, anyway, at this point.

Off to hop in the shower and get back to the Cottage.  On the way back there, I'm sure I'll get sidetracked by some weeds that are calling out to me, "Pull me up"!

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Well, glad to see you are finding time to quilt. Your quilt is lovely and it will feel good to get it "to be quilted" pile. Slow and steady...that's all that counts. Sounds like all your steps now are forward. Thanks for sharing.

suz said...

sounds like you are truly settling in - the quilt is beautiful and I love both backings; how wonderful to find that tiny plant - reminds me of a wild violet I found in the cracks of old stone steps in a house I was renting once - it's such a delight to find something special like that!

Laura said...

Love Carrie's Village pattern. I met her at QuiltCon in February at the Moda booth. She was so nice! I told her I love her blog posts, and she gave me extra mini-charm packs. LOL.

Sherrill said...

Hey stuff happens!! Love your newest quilt on the design wall.

Dondi M said...

I love that concept of 'free' fabric. I always love it when I find something in my stash that works, especially if I have forgotten I have it. Oh, guilty conscience.

mascanlon said...

Missed this! Yes I do think its free fabric if I don't have to buy it now. But somehow the backing pieces are always to small and I would have to piece something. Have gotten spoiled by all the new wide backings. and yes, i am starting to think village too...