Sunday, April 02, 2017

Curve Balls

I've been sewing up a storm lately and have a lot of things to post.  Unfortunately, Picasa is no more and all the pictures I thought I had downloaded are nowhere to be found.  I haven't really had much time to research another photo edit program.  The one time I sat down to try to find something, I was overwhelmed by 1) monthly fees, 2) a lot of language I didn't understand and 3) its "un-user-friendly" aspects.  If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.  I know I can download directly from my iPhone to my blog, but I can't type well on that small keyboard.  I'd rather post to my blog on my PC. So until then ...

I'm all caught up on the Minick & Simpson BOM, Portage Lake.  Waiting for Month 10.  I have all the blocks finished on the Fat Quarter Shop Sew Sampler bonus blocks, the one where a recipe card came in each month's Sew Sampler box.  Just need to put that puppy together.   I started sewing a quilt from the Miss Rosie's Farmhouse Favorites book and, honest to Pete, I made so many mistakes cutting and sewing this last week that you'd a-thunk I was a newbie quilter.  All is well now and I'm looking forward to heading back to the Cottage today to sew some more on that.

Two weekends ago I had delivery and set-up of the HandiQuilter Simply Sixteen.  It doesn't take up a lot of space and I've been having fun playing with that using the ugliest fabric in the world found in my stash.  (rolls eyes)  I'm waiting for the rear handles and ruler base and then I'll be good to go.  No desire to be a blue ribbon quilter but just thought I could get some of these smaller quilts and charity quilts done myself.  The big or special quilts will still be sent out.

The weather has been so beautiful in my tiny town but we have a rain storm expected this afternoon.  I'm hoping the remaining pollen from the oak trees will be washed away.  I had the worst allergy attack and was really feeling puny for two weeks, but a visit to the doctor and four prescriptions later, I feel like a new person.  I have a box of anti-viral facemasks in both the house and Cottage for the next time things pollinate around here.  Heck, Penny was even sneezing but I seriously doubt she'll tolerate a facemask.  That would be a Kodak moment - if I would be able to post that picture.

I'll be on Instagram at "krz4kwlts."  Hope to see you there.  Happy April!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love Portage Lake and I envy folks with applique skills to stitch that. I'm a piecer quilter I'm afraid but loved Baltimore Album quilts all my life, such that some years back I at least dove in head first quilting. Like you in the past I have just moved into a new house far from where I lived for 32 years but close, really close to my children and grandchildren. Yay! Quilting these days, is finding what's in which box, although the machine is up and ready. I now have a "quilt room" rather than my machine stuck in a guest bedroom. Have been very busy stitching quilts in the past but sent them out to be quilted. My review of receipts shows over 100 quilts quilted. It will be interesting to see what happens to that number with a dedicated quilt room. Am considering a home quilting machine so I can work on the number of unquilted quilts. Don't seem to be able to not stock up on more great fabric so we'll see how it goes. Love your blog, and wish you the best on Portage Lake. Just a little envious of your talent there. Stephani in N. TX (Tomazec@aol.com)

Mimi said...

Good to know you are doing well other than the allergies and that you are accomplishing tons of things. Hopefully you can get your pictures to behave and can start posting again soon.

Lindah said...

'fraid I'm no help on the photo issue. Goodness, I haven't even been able to open your comment box for the last several posts, until today when I figured out that I could right click and hit the 'open in another window.' Here we are. Hope this works. Not that I have any earth-shaking comments to make, but I do want to say that I am always pleased to find a post from you. I like thinking of you quilting away in your cottage. Congratulations on your 'Sixteen.' I'm sure you will enjoy using it. I bought a used machine w/frame some years back. Sure takes up a lot of room, but I can't imagine quilting without it now. Enjoy!

Laura said...

I've considered getting an HQ 16, so would love to hear about your progress on using it - what the learning curve is, whether it's fairly easy to use, etc. Good to see a blog post from you1

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

How wonderful to see you are back blogging. Hope you get your photos back in the mix. Congrats on your Sixteen! I would someday like to win the lottery and purchase one. Then I'd have to move to a bigger home as I am currently quilting in my bedroom. hee Hee
Have a great day. mary in Az

Karen said...

I still have Picasa. I can't load onto a blog from it but still have pictures saved on it.

CindyB said...

I use Picasa 3. It saves all photos to a Google account so look there. Photos still on Picasa too. Download it again and sign in with same account. Your photos will still be there unless you deleted them from Picasa.

Suze said...

Vicky,
I found you because I saw a picture of your lovely baskets you are/were making for a quilt. They are gorgeous. Now, I want to buy the book and make one. I don't have any Civil War fabric, so it'll be ????? I understand not liking retirement. I was forced into retirement due to health. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and six weeks later with fibromyalgia. I've been cancer free for 12 years and the fibromyalgia is still problematic. I have other issues also. My 40 year old son came home to live with me to help each of us. Then four months later (early last March) his 2 year old daughter came to live with us. He now has permanent custody of her and her mother hasn't seen her since we have had her. She is very tiring and I don't get any quilting done, YET! We need to get my bedroom and my sewing room combined and give her my bedroom. In the summer we have her 1/2 brother.

I love small towns. I grew up in an area that had one incorporated town in the county. I went to the only high school in that county and had my mother for 5 classes. I was thinking of moving back and my mother died and dad was already deceased. Mom left the house to a non-family person. I won't go back because my brother who sexually abused me for over 10 years lives about 30 miles from that town and I don't want to run into him. I've taken steps to really inform the family in the last 2 years and I'm finally starting to heal more and I don't need him in my business. I just want to let you know you have inspired me greatly with your projectS.
Susan