Sunday, December 10, 2006

Finished Gift Quilt Bindings


I'm so happy that these quilts are ready to wrap, box and mail next week. Since I know they open gifts when they arrive anyway, I've given my nieces "permission" to go ahead and open them the moment they get them. Kyra's quilt, the pink/green one, has been finished and folded away in the closet for three years. The other two were recent finishes. I know Don and Kyra will love their quilts. Kyra is so soppy and sentimental. Honestly, it could be made out of old bedsheets and she'd love it just because I made it. Lisa is hard to read most of the time. I will tell them both that I'll take them back and make another one for them if they don't like them. :)

Am I the only one that bonds so fiercely with quilts? There were fleeting moments while making all three of these that I was considering keeping them and making something else for them. They'd never know, right? I'm so bad.

As I sit here looking around my sewing room, I see a lot of things that need to be boxed and mailed out. In addition to Christmas packages, I've got some 1st Weekend prizes to mail (very long overdue), and also a few Retreat gifts that I forgot to put in my suitcase. The little post office in the town where I work will see a lot of me in the next week or so. I've just got to remember to put my car keys in my pocket!

For those of you who commented on my last blog and sent me such wonderful, supportive emails, thank you. My friend has unconditionally forgiven me for my slip of fingers. That means everything in the world to me, but that is the kind of person she is, truly someone who practices what she preaches. Doodlebug was correct -- an innocent comment fell into the wrong hands. While it saddens me to think that this can happen, it doesn't surprise me, especially in light of who is attached to those hands. I have learned such a valuable lesson from this. Again, thank you for your understanding and support.

The two little trees outside the front door of my condo are going through a change of leaf color. After the hard rain we had last night, the ground is ablaze with beautiful red and gold leaves. Daisy isn't quite sure what to make of it ... she's tiptoeing through them with much coaxing from me. What a wussy she is! Maybe I'll take the camera out there and try to get a picture. I'm still having trouble editing my photos, but I'm determined to figure it all out.

Off to make the binding for my Christmas quilt. I hope to have it on the bed by next weekend. Thank you, Judy, for getting all of these done for me. I owe you massive favors!

~~~~~~~~~~

Well, picture won't post, no matter what I do to it. I'll try again later.

14 comments:

Darlene said...

WOOHOO - I'm dancing across the desert!!!! Whee!!!

You're back!!!!

Why do you think I have so many quilt tops and quilts - I just can't part with them. LOL About the only time I can is when I plan the quilt for someone right from the start. Knowing that it's for someone else will usually keep me from bonding with it. I'm very selfish with my quilts! I know, shame on me!

Carol said...

I am so happy for you that all is well. Take care...

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I've been looking for you every day hoping you'd work out your problem with your friend and come back to us.

I have to LOL at your comment about having trouble letting quilts go. Most quilts I make sit here for quite some time before going on to their intended recipients. I have to fondle and pet them for awhile. THEN I can let them go.

Again, welcome home. You were missed. :-)

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are back again. Was getting concerned. You have been missed. Please post pictures as soon as blogger will allow-I'd just love to see all the quilts.

Anonymous said...

I bond with my quilts too. I find it hard to finally give them away when I am done with them. I thought it was because I was a new quilter, but maybe it isn't. Maybe we're not selfish, maybe we just love our creations too much.

PS - Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back.

I've only given one quilt away so far and I sometimes wonder how it is getting on in its new home.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back. All the quilt projects i've done, except for 1, have been given away. 2 years ago I made a graduation quilt for someone I work with and she insisted on paying. It felt weird!

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one that bonds so fiercely with quilts?

NO! Oh my gosh, I get so attached to all of my quilts. I have to start a quilt especially for soeone to actually be able to give it away to that person.... Sad I know... I guess the time that it takes to make it is an investment that I am attached to...


Welcome back, I glad that it worked out for you with your friend. (I have heard of situations that did not work out as well...) I say what I type, so my friends know what to expect...

Laurie Ann said...

Glad you weren't gone for long and that all is forgiven!! :) :) Sounds like a great friend.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad your friend forgave you!!! Hurray!!! It's so awful that some people take an innocent slip and use it in a mean way. I'm glad you're back, I read your blog and a couple of other...it gets me all ready to quilt. Welcome home new friend!!
dawn

Vicky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan said...

What! Give a quilt away? That is so hard to do for me. Now I send along a picture of what I am working on with a note saying, "This quilt is for you." Then I am committed to actually hand it over. Still hard........

Good to see you again

Unknown said...

Vicky: I not only get attached to the quilts I make but to many that I quilt! I'm nuts!

Judy L.

Shelina said...

All three of the quilts are really pretty. Did you hold on to that one until you got all three finished? That sounds like something my Mom would do.
I don't always have trouble parting with quilts - just the ones I think are exceptionally pretty. Which, of course, are the kind that the recipient wants. Eventually I do take several photos and tear myself away from the real thing. I do keep telling myself when I'm making a quilt - this is Lily's quilt, this is Lily's quilt, so that I don't get attached.