Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hurrah Progress

I cut the blues and creams and put the Hurrah flags together today. 

 
 
 
Excuse the bad picture.  I don't have overhead lights in most rooms, and lamps just don't cut it after dark for picture taking.  Also, excuse the little pink notes pinned to each block.  My little reminder notes.
 
Next weekend I'll get these assembled and start working on the pieced border.  I really like this pattern.
 
I'm sure am sore today after taking a tumble in the early morning hours.  Okay, so I shouldn't go out to the mailbox at 3:00 a.m.  Stepped on a blasted gumball on the sidewalk.  Luckily, only my right wrist is bruised but I discovered lots of sore places as the day wore on.  Man, you can't take me anywhere!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, a few people emailed me about stepping on a "gumball."  I grew up calling these gumballs, but I figured I'd best look it up.  After about the third email I started doubting myself and figured what I was calling it was a just a "Southernism." 

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/sweetgum.htm

It's the round ball with spikes pictured there.  Whew! 
 

14 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I love how your quilt is coming along!! Sorry about the gumball accident~ hope you don't find yourself stiff tomorrow. :-(

Laura in IA said...

I love this quilt you are making too. Thanks for the reminder not to go after the mail at 3 AM. That sounds like something I might do and with all the ice chunks in front of the mailboxes here in Iowa and the cold that would be a disaster for me.

mascanlon said...

Just shaking my head..only time I would go out that late to the mail was if I was expecting fabric. Glad it wasn't worse and I hope the aches aren't as bad tomorrow.

Mary said...

Ouch! the flags are really nice!

mary

AnnieO said...

Nice patriotic progress!
A gum ball? Wow. Grown ups are just not meant to fall down :)

Kyle said...

I love that pattern more each time you share it. I might have to add it to the list. Glad your fall only resulted in a couple sore spots and nothing more.

Annie said...

I hated the sweetgum trees that were along the driveway at my last house! Those gumballs on the driveway made it dangerous to walk down to the mailbox! I hope you'll have a speedy recovery!

Quilting Nonnie said...

Is that what that tree is called? We had one in the driveway of a place we rented. Ouchie! Stepping on them hurts like heck! When we bought out house and wanted to plant a couple of trees, I said "No trees with the dingleberries." I made up my own word from when I lived by that tree.

Laura said...

And here I thought you meant an actual gumball, like the ones that come out of a gumball dispenser! LOL. I'm familiar with the spiky round things that fall from maple trees, but never heard them called gumballs.

Vicky said...

These are sweet gum trees outside my front door, and they drop gumballs. Round gumballs. With spikes. That hurt little puppy feet when they step on them. And that roll when an old lady steps on them.

Diane said...

I guess I'm just as southern as I immediately thought of the sweetgum ball, then I thought that maybe you really meant a gumball. LOL
I hope you feel better quickly, you have a great looking quilt top to get finished!

Miss Jean said...

I can't wait to see the quilt finished. My daughter has a liquidambar (sweet gum) tree. It's the biggest one I have ever seen. She gets millions of the balls every year. I told her there ought to be a market for them somewhere. You certainly have to keep your shoes on in her back yard. Get well soon.

Lilac Joan said...

They are too gumballs! This winter while walking my dog I fell, but because it was so cold and I was heavily dressed: I bounced! Hope your wrist doesn't impair your quilting.

Sarah said...

I love the look of your Hurrah quilt! You are making good progress. I looked up the link on the gum ball. We call them gum nuts in Australia, so I knew the kind of thing you meant anyway!