Monday, September 01, 2014

Moda Modern Building Blocks

I fell in love with this quilt when I saw a picture of it hanging at Market.  I ordered the kit from Fat Quarter Shop because my fabric is mostly packed up and I didn't feel like rooting around in tubs.  I see they've sold out the first round and have ordered more. 

The kit came in this week and I started with the #1 block, a gigantic 36" block.  Then I decided to go ahead and make the other two blocks in that section.  Those are each 18".  The quilt is 84 x 96, but it sure seems like it's going to be a lot bigger if this section is any indication!


One of the reasons I am so enjoying making these blocks is the piecing.  When I first started quilting (13 years ago this month!) I don't think all of the quick piece techniques were out there for QSTs, HSTs and flying geese.  You cut triangles and stitched them together.  This feels like I'm back to basics!  So much fun!

I know, I know, I should be cleaning out my closet, but it's Labor Day and I'd rather be at the Bernina! 

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Gorgeous! This is going to be so beautiful and I look forward to reading and seeing your progress.

I'm going to have to live/stitch vicariously through you with this quilt - at least until Christmas. Maybe. ;-)

antique quilter said...

they look great, I am so tempted to make this quilt
I have wanted to make a quilt in solids for a long time. love the big blocks!!!
glad your sewing I am sure you need a break from all the cleaning, sorting, packing
Kathie

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Great blocks!! Oh this one has tempted me too! I like the colors and the larger blocks. Have a happy day!

Darlene said...

Great start! Awesome blocks!

Carol said...

So glad to see you're having a little fun in the midst of the packing! Enjoy!❤️

Mimi said...

Beautiful! Are you trying to get all your loose fabric made up into quilt tops before you move? You are on such a roll.

Anonymous said...

So pretty. I have mine at home, but am reluctant to cut into it fearing that I'll do it wrong and end up not having enough fabric for all the blocks. Any cutting strategy suggestions?

Enjoli Strait said...

OH MY! I saw this quilt at market too and knew I HAD to have it! We just got kits in our shop and I am headed down tomorrow to get one! :)