Sunday, February 08, 2015

Lazy Sunday - Again

I've not been hibernating.  Promise!  It's been so busy around the old homestead but quilting hasn't happened.  Today is the day.  I'm attacking the 2014 Designer Mystery blocks and I won't stop until they're done.  Or caught up.  Or until someone rings the doorbell.

There has not been one day since I've moved here that I've had the whole day to myself.  Not one.  I guess that happens when you buy a really old house, immediately have a bad roof leak after a storm (Day 2 here) blows a turbine off the roof, and you start calling in contractors and estimators for various projects.   And then there are plumbers, yard folks, the cleaning lady, window replacement company - it's a never-ending stream.

It must be the moon rocks.  Right, Carrie?

Here's where I am at the moment.

My den has a 20 foot window. I love that I can see the whole back yard, the Cottage, and the bayou.  But ... there's always a "but" ... it was leaking horribly in that same Day 2 storm.  The old towels I was going to throw away ended up wadded up all along the bottom of the window to protect the floors.  All 20 feet of it.  After fixing the roof, the contractor looked at the window.  He had ideas of how to fix it, seal it, do whatever to make it stop leaking.  Then we discussed replacing it with double-pane glass.  As it stands now, it's cold by that window.  And when I was here this summer it was really hot.  Not just the sun on the glass, but it seemed to be seeping in.  Just like the cold air has done recently.  So it's going to be replaced, but it will look different.  There will be two windows on either end that open, and then the 12 feet left in the middle will be what they call clear-view.  I'm not being true to the vintage of the house but I have to do what makes me comfortable living here.  Probably two more weeks until that is installed.

I've held off ordering the furniture for that room.  It's best to wait until the construction is done - or the moon rocks are put back.

My friend, Sally, told me that Orange Glo would work wonders on the old wood floors.  She was right.

I was going to have them sanded and refinished, but I kind of like the older look of them.  The product did exactly what I was told it would do.  It brought out all the grain in the wood and gave it a gentle shine that's supposed to protect the wood.  Okay, the shine looks really bright here in the lamp reflection but it really isn't that glossy.  This picture is from the dining room looking into the side of the living room.  The door goes out to the carport.  The furniture is old.  I've picked out new furniture for the room but that will wait until the construction is done.  The floors in the picture of the window have not been deep cleaned yet.  They're really dull.  I'm not doing that room until these men quit tromping through with their boots on.

I'm also thinking about where to hang pictures.  These two Redoute prints are going in the kitchen.  I love botanical prints, and Pierre-Joseph Redoute is one of my favorites.  Picked these up at a private school auction probably 25 years ago for $30.  According to an old hand-written note on the back, Redoute was "French - Royal gardener.  Superb botanist, artist and designer.  Most famous for his pictures of roses and lilies.  Art teacher to Marie Antoinette.  He survived the French Revolution and was engaged by Napoleon to teach the Empress Josephine and the two succeeding queens."  The prints have some old stains on them but I don't care one bit.  I think it gives them character.

I've said many times that I love messing with Penny's head.  For instance, I have/had an old squeaker that she pulled out of a toy.  I kept it on my sewing table, and when she would start snoring really loudly I'd give it a squeeze or two.  It was hilarious watching her trying to get into her hunt mode while still half asleep.  Okay, I'm a bad mommy.  So my nephew gave me this bird clock for Christmas.  On the hour it chirps or hoots or sings the sounds of the bird it's pointing to.  For a month and a half she jumps up and runs around trying to find the bird.  This morning she finally figured out the sound was coming from up on the wall.  She looked like a pointer.  Ears up, body stiff, tail up and quivering.  I guess it's a good thing it's on the wall where she can't reach it!

My late boss' wife gave me a pot of amaryllis bulbs for Christmas.  I've been carefully putting it out every day and taking it in at night when the temps drop.  This week I saw color on it.  I'm so excited because I love-love-love bulbs.  I inherited that from my mother.  There are plans in my head to plant a ton of bulbs in the flower beds out back.  It takes some bulbs two years to bloom but that's okay. I'm in my forever home.

Yes, the front porch needs to be scrubbed, but I'll wait until winter is over to wash away the character that has grown on the bricks during the rainy season. 

I'm off to sew.  I'll be at the temporary table set up in the den facing the TV if anyone needs me.  By this time next week I hope to be in the Cottage sewing.  I'm sure there will still be boxes around, but at least my sewing table and Bernina will be set up in their forever home.


Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

It sounds like you are making tons of progress! Good luck with the window guys. Happy sewing!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Enjoy the process! How wonderful to be in your forever home!

mascanlon said...

I hope today goes just the way you plan!! The floors look terrific and although the original window is interesting its not worth leaks, cold and hot. The new window will give you much needed peace of mind. And I love the clock Penny story, made Richard laugh too!

Darlene said...

So nice to 'see' you.

Your homestead has been like a busy bee hive. So much progress.

Love, love, love the floors!

Karen said...

You have been one busy lady. So much to take care of with your new old home. Must be wonderful, though, to wake up and know you don't have to do the work thing any more. Just sew to your heart's content once you get everything settled.

Colleen said...

So glad you are settling in and are healing! Love the Penny story :o)

FrancisMoore said...

I love reading your post. I hope at some time you post a picture of your new home, but that might not be a good idea. Good luck with the windows.

FrancisMoore said...

Even though I spell my name with an "i" I am a female. Being born in Kentucky many, many years ago, I doubt they knew the difference with francis/frances. Just wanted to clear that up from the previous post. Francis C. Moore

Kyle said...

Even though your move has been a tremendous amount of work, I've enjoyed watching your transfer this house into your dream home.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy reading about your progress

AnnieO said...

Exciting to see a glimpse of your forever home! I'm sure it will be expensive to put in that new window but a clear view and fresh air sound lovely. Funny doins' with Penny:)
Congrats on getting to the best part of your retirement life, more time to sew !

Sherrill said...

OK, it's been about 3 wks. (but who's counting! HA) and wondering if you've gotten anymore progress done? I need to replace my front and back doors as I had all the windows done over a yr. ago. UGH!

Sarah said...

I love getting to see around your new home. We bought ours in September last year. They really are money pits aren't they, these old houses. Your views are lovely, and you are getting a lot done. I hope you continue to enjoy it.