Saturday, October 10, 2015

Another UFO

I have UFOs all over the place, and the two I've chosen to work on lately are truly long-term projects.  I need to concentrate on the ones that can be finished in shorter order, not these!


Kathie Holland inspired me to start these drunkard's path blocks a couple or three years ago.  I pulled out this project bag at the same time I pulled the Trick or Treat baskets because a lot of the same fabrics are used in both.  I was delighted to find that I had probably 75 strips already cut.  I couldn't find the quarter circle template, though, so I made another one.  Then I apparently dropped that one somewhere on the floor and Penny found it .... so I made another one.  I'm doing these in increments of 50, and I now have 250 done.  It's an easy project to pick up.  I need to find Kathie's inspiration picture so I can at least have a ballpark estimate of how many I need.  I suspect it will be a lot more than 250 since these are only four inch blocks.

It warmed up a tad here this past week but fall is still in the air.  Or maybe football is in the air.  LSU plays today.  The game was supposed to be held in South Carolina but because of the flooding there, the game was moved to Baton Rouge.  LSU's team plane will pick up the USC team and take them back home after the game.  The LSU band will also play the USC fight song.  All proceeds from the game after expenses will go back to USC.  I'm proud to be an LSU Tiger fan!

But back to fall -- the little nursery here had some fall mums that I tried and tried to resist and just couldn't.  So I clumped a few on either side of my front door with a wreath that was unearthed when I moved.  Nothing fancy, but it decorates the joint up a bit.  If I run across some pumpkins, I'll add them to the mix.                                                       



The squirrels were gathered around these on the first morning they were on the porch.  So far I haven't seen any nibbling on them.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Your front door and porch sure look nice. Nice to hear about LSU, what great sportsmanship!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Your front porch looks very inviting - are the squirrels leaving their nuts around your pots? Squirrels up here are starting to bring their nuts up the front or back door and try to hide them in a corner! Left my garden clogs outside overnight and found a walnut hidden inside this morning - LOL.

Nice to see you sewing again.

Mary said...

Love the mums. It looks really beautiful on your porch. Good progress on your UFO's!

Mary

Sherrill said...

You have such a pretty front door/porch area. Mine's kinda tight so not a whole lot fits. My team had an extremely disappointing loss today (OU vs Texas--UGH).

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

LOL I can so relate to your very first line~ "I have UFO's all over the place" ~me too!! I love the mums!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely front entrance you have.....even without the mums!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely front entrance you have.....even without the mums!!!! :-)

Pam said...

I love Kathie's quilts - I am actually hand quilting this one right now (A Different Path). I used a Moda flannel for my backing and it's heavy! Will be toasty warm if I can get it finished :) And your front door and porch look great! Looks clean and classy.

mascanlon said...

Looks so pretty! I found lots of fun pumpkins in Livermore, bet if you take a short drive you'll see a stand along the way!

Anonymous said...

Love these blocks! Are you piecing them or appliquéing them? This will be a gorgeous quilt. What will the layout be?
LadyBaltimore