Monday, October 05, 2015

Progress

The Cottage is coming along nicely.  The cutting and sewing tables are clear, and although there are some project tubs and a few boxes lined up against the walls awaiting their designated place, at least I think I can start sewing in there a bit.

I was reminded by a friend (thanks, LadyB) about my basket blocks.  I quickly put my hands on that project tub, and I've been working on those.  It's definitely a long-term project but I'm not taking this one to The Home with me.  I want to use it before then!  There were around 128 done when I pulled them.  I now have 148 done - out of 291.  I'll plug away on these every time I sit down at night.  I'm working in increments of 20 so as not to get overwhelmed.



 
 
Other than that, I've been doing a lot of work in the yard.  Mostly with hired help, but I've been doing what I can with the limitations.  I can sit in a chair and lean over and weed.  I can rake leaves.  I can supervise and give directions .......  ;)
 
We cut back these azaleas outside the sunroom about three weeks ago.  They were way too tall, and I was okay with the fact that they wouldn't bloom this year.  Lo and behold, the blooms starting popping out.  They're a dark pink and then fade to a lovely pale pink as the bloom ages.  I guess they just needed a haircut! 
 
 

Penny is doing great.  She loves going outside and chasing squirrels and lizards.  The birds, however, drive her nuts.  There are one or two birds that love to taunt her by swooping low and squawking loudly.  She immediately hits the dirt, and then when they're past her, she jumps up and acts real brave.  I love my weenie dog!

I plan on blogging more regularly just as soon as a couple of projects are finished up around the homestead.  I'll have the extra time to do what I want to do - no yard projects, no physical therapy, just me and my sewing machine!

16 comments:

Laura said...

The azaleas are gorgeous! Looking forward to increased blogging about sewing from you. :-)

julieQ said...

I am just delighted to hear such great progress! Hurrah! Love those baskets too!

Cheryl W. said...

I love hearing from you...it's probably a mockingbird. They are just treacherous! We have them too and our sweet dog just despises them.

barbara woods said...

How big are your blocks ? they must be very small to take that many.

Pam said...

Hi Vicky! Glad to hear that things are coming together for you. Your basket blocks are so pretty - I've made 1, so you know, only 290 to go :) Lol!

Mary said...

Love the baskets. Is this the blackbird designs one? I did it several years ago and would do it again. One of my favorite quilts. Sounds like you are making progress in a lot of ways. Good news.! Good to hear from you.

Mary

Vicky said...

Mary, thanks for reminding me to credit the designer. I forgot as I've blogged about this before. Yes, it is the Blackbird Designs book, Where the Cold Wind Blows. The quilt is "Trick or Treat."

Kyle said...

You're making progress on all fronts. Hopefully more sewing and less work. The baskets are super cute. I thought they were one of the Blackbird Design patterns.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Great progress on your basket blocks and yard!

Karen said...

Sounds like you are doing much better. And the organization of the sewing area getting close to being what you want.
I remember when you started those baskets. Twenty baskets in a batch is manageable and you will reach the end in no time at all.

Jo said...

I can picture Penny being oh so brave! Nice to hear you two are settling in nicely and you are getting in some stitches. Great progress!

Gloria said...

I won this pattern recently and it is on my list of quilts to do. I just need to make sure I have enough background fabric, I want the baskets to be scrappy! Glad you are doing better. Love Penny!

Doodlebug Gail said...

What gorgeous azaleas - so glad that they bloomed so nicely, as especially when you weren't expecting it.

You're making great progress with those baskets - love those little blocks.

Mimi said...

Glad to hear things are coming along nicely. Those baskets will be done in no time. Way too pretty to put away.

mascanlon said...

So glad things are coming along in the quilting cottage! Therapy behind you and lots of sewing on the horizon. Neither one of us got Lucy done this Fall...lets commit to having her ready to go by 9/1/16. Quilted, bound and washed, ready to cuddle with...are you in?

Vicky said...

Yes, MA, I'm in!