Monday, August 01, 2016

A New Month Begins


I have to say that it felt good to get into the Cottage and get some things accomplished in July.  Of course, I wanted to do more but I'll take it!

I pulled out the Metro Scope blocks and finally got them sewn together.  I thought I was finished with the top but it looked funny.  It took me two weeks of pondering it to finally realize it needed a final white border.  (sigh)  So that will go on this weekend, the backing pieced and I'll call it good until I can get it to a quilter.


I finished Lucy by Miss Rosie.  I totally adore this quilt.  Of course, I still need to give it a good pressing and stay stitch those edges if, in fact, they are wavy once the pressing is done.  The backing is out and ready to piece, and then it's off to be quilted.



A funny thing happened on the way to the finish.  The last cream snowball block that I picked up to attach had a hole in it.  What?  It looked like a "factory defect" and I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it when I was doing that block.  I took out the scraps and didn't have a piece big enough to cut another square, so I pieced it.  I figured it wouldn't show at all once it was quilted.  A little later I went into the stash closet to look for something and this bolt caught my eye.  Yes, a whole bolt of that Minick & Simpson dot that I love so much - and the exact same fabric that I had just pieced together to get my snowball square!  I even surprised myself on that one!


A week ago the first month of the Portage Lake BOM from Minick & Simpson arrived.  Saturday I got up bright and early and made the whole month!  I really love this quilt, and I'm anxiously awaiting Month 2.  I'm sure it will have a large appliqued block on it, but I figure if I get it prepped as soon as it arrives, I can needle turn it at night during the month and still stay on track.  That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!


I have started cutting out a table runner pattern that came in the June Sew Sampler box from the Fat Quarter Shop.  I hope to get that done next weekend - but not until I piece backings and get the final border on Metro Scope.

So all in all, not a bad month.  I'm ready to forge onward in August and I hope it will be a productive one, too!

15 comments:

Sherrill said...

WOW!! You've gotten a LOT accomplished! So wonderful to get things done (something I haven't done in a long time!!). Have you found a longarmer nearby yet? Stay in and stay cool and you'll most likely have a TON more finishes before long. LOL

AnnieO said...

Gorgeous Metro quilt, love the colors. You are cranking out finishes, how wonderful. A whole bolt of that dot, wow, what a great thing to own.

Carolyn said...

You had a very productive month! I love the block of the month, can't wait to see this one come together! Enjoy August's projects, can't wait to see what you create!

Katie Z. said...

Your flimsies are so pretty!

Laura said...

When I grow up, I want my piecing to look as good as yours. ;-)

Perry said...

I'm excited for you. I think you may be back in the groove. It has been a rough several years for you and I am glad you have survived it in good shape. Wishing you the best.

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love the peacefulness of your Metro Scope and can barely wait to see it with its border and quilted!

Karen said...

I have been so tempted by the Portage Lake quilt. In the area of Ohio I grew up in, there is a lake called Portage Lake.

Mimi said...

Everything you are working on is beautiful! You've made a lot of progress. Good for you!!!

Pollyb said...

You were so smart to buy that bolt. I hate running out of my favorite fabrics.

Penny said...

Impressive report for last month. You truly inspire me!

Kyle said...

It was great to read your post and see what you've been sewing. You've had some fantastic finishes and wonderful starts. Sounds like a perfect July! Too funny about the bolt of fabric, but glad you have it.

badlandsquilts said...

So many lovely finishes!

mascanlon said...

I missed this! You did have a great July. So glad you are back to the cottage and sewing along merrily.

Anonymous said...

Love love love the Metro quilt. It is so beautiful. Great job!