Saturday, January 21, 2012

Road to California 2012

Yep, we went. I was feeling a little better but still not well. And it was pouring down rain. But Jane and I went.

The show opened at 8:30 today because they didn't want folks standing out in the rain. Of course, this wasn't announced until yesterday afternoon so hardly anyone knew. We got to the doors and the guy told us we couldn't come into the lobby until 8:30 and told us to wait in the tent just a few steps away. We were in that huge tent by ourselves. He must have had a change of heart because five minutes later, he came and got us and told us to come on in and get a cup of coffee to warm up! What a sweet man!

Because it wasn't crowded at all, we headed straight over to the Primitive Gatherings booth. It was wonderful! We were the only two people in the booth besides Lisa and Nick. It was really nice getting to chat with them and shop at our leisure. Two hours later we went by again and it was totally packed.



The patterns are not sorted by vendor in the pictures ... and I also picked up a few of those cute little 2" charm packs they have in the Civil War fabrics. Love those things!

With our main objective accomplished, we visited all of the other booths. I had a nice chat with Sandy Klop of Moda's American Jane fabrics. I also spent a very pleasant fifteen minutes chatting with Verna Mosquera of The Vintage Spool. I had never had the pleasure of meeting her before. She is so sweet.



More patterns .......







And a couple of pieces of wool in colors I couldn't resist.

I did my annual kit shopping at Stars & Scraps. I love that store located in Corona CA, but I don't get there but a couple of times a year. I'm sure glad they're at Road! Just two small kits.





We left about 12:30 or 1:00 after spending some time viewing the quilts. The winners were gorgeous, but some of my favorites had no ribbons on them. I definitely thought there were quite a few that were ribbon-worthy! I didn't bring my camera, but will purchase the CD when it comes out so I can look more closely at the ones I fell in love with.

All in all, a nice day. I'm glad I went.

16 comments:

mascanlon said...

I was there too! I bought a kit from Verna I could not resist that Autumn Sunset pieced quilt in her new fabric. We didn't get there until around 10 and by then Primitive gatherings was too crowded to really shop...sigh. And some how I missed Stars and Scraps another one of my favorites. I got a few pincushion kits Bird Brain and a walk on the wild side with a 25 FQ stack in Hawaiian prints from Beyond the Reef, Natalie is a real sweet heart. I'm going to go back to your post and check out some of those patterns again! Glad you are feeling a little better.

Wacky Woman said...

Yup! I was there Thursday, Friday and left this morning. Took a class on Friday. I'm glad the rain didn't keep people away. Good shopping there.

LuAnn said...

What a great bunch of goodies from the show. Someday I hope to get there. Glad you had a good time.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I love all your new goodies! How fun to be the only two people in a booth. :-) The wool colors are wonderful. Have a happy Sunday!

antique quilter said...

Glad you went, just spending a day with Jane must have been nice too. Wow getting to shop in Primitive Gatherings without a crowd a dream! Love the kits you bought and oh those Liberty Homestead books Look interesting..
hope you feel better soon
Kathie

Karen said...

The pumpkin pattern with the variety of blocks inside each one is very interesting.
I don't think I will ever get to that show but have always thought it would be a good one if I made it to the west coast.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you felt well enough to go, and had a great time! Looks like you got some great patterns. Eve in GA

Mimi said...

Lucky you! You got some beautiful items, too. Glad you got to enjoy yourself.

Mimi said...

Lucky you! You got some beautiful items, too. Glad you got to enjoy yourself.

JudyT said...

Great patterns and kits, Vicky. Glad you got to go and knew to go early! I love Stars and Scraps too.

Cathy said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I love that Sugar Kisses pattern! I just might have to do a search and order it.

Connie said...

I love everything you bought. You have great taste in patterns LOL (ie: the same taste as me)

Cathy said...

A quilt show when sick is better than no quilt show at all! You made some good purchases. I like that Thimble Creek pattern with the pumpkins. I saw it in their newsletter and would definitely like to make it.

Sharon said...

Nice patterns and kits, one day I will make the trek to this show, I always plan my vacation time in Jan and then I realize this show is on. I guess in the fall I'm not thinking "jan quilt show"

Laura said...

I went with three friends on Sunday. Crowds weren't too bad, but I felt a bit rushed nonetheless. It's a 2.5 hour drive from where we live, so we were all pooped when we got home. Bought a Baby Go die, a Guidelines ruler that may actually help me cut straight, a couple of patterns and miscellaneous bits of fabric. Fun time!

Carrie said...

I'm glad you felt well enough to go to Road. I'm even more happy that you were able to enjoy it without the craziness... at least for a little while. :)

Gorgeous patterns, kits and wool ~ when you add that to a day spent with friends new and old, it sounds like a day well spent.