Saturday, January 25, 2014

I Survived Road 2014

I pooped out and came home about 1:30.

That list I made served me well.  Primitive Gatherings and Jaybird Quilts were on the same aisle within a few booths of each other.  Bernina -- yes, I went there -- was just over on the next row.  I bought bobbins!  Seriously!  That's all I bought there.  Anyway, I was done with my list in 15 minutes.  That must be a record for Road!  The pictures are lousy, but here they are.

At Primitive Gatherings I picked up some dark and light blue charms.  That's it!  Do I get kudos for that?!


At Jaybird Quilts, after hugging on Julie and Mary Ann (and Lawrence), I snagged the Mini Hex N More ruler, three mini patterns, Radio Way, Disco and Northern Lights, and a charm back of Kona solids to make the Mini Disco.  I didn't have the Sidekick ruler, so got that, as well as Julie's new block of the month design book, Park Bench.  More than was on my list, but that's the way it goes!  I met Julie when she first started blogging, and have so enjoyed watching her career blossom.  She's such an adorable young lady, and I'm proud to call her my friend!


The last thing I decided to get after pondering it for a while was an Oliso iron.  I know several folks who have one and they love it.  I will probably take it to Louisiana with me when I go next time and leave it there.  The little $10 iron I bought at Walmart over Christmas didn't get very hot, but I was able to iron enough with it to get my money's worth.   


I did some shopping for a friend at Superior Thread.  She sent me a list and I was totally lost looking for that thread.  A nice lady who works there saw my look of bewilderment, took the list and found everything for me in three seconds flat!

I picked up two patterns, one for me and one for a friend.  That concluded my shopping!

There are some awfully beautiful quilts hanging in the show.  The best of show was -- well, it WAS the best of show.  I won't post a picture here because I don't think I'm supposed to, but it was a stunning applique quilt by Sharon Schamber.  The Road site, I'm sure, will post the winners after the show.  www.road2ca.com   There were a lot of gorgeous traditional quilts.  There was one basket quilt in particular that had baskets quilted in the solid blocks between the pieced baskets.  It was stunning and I think it won a ribbon as well.

I'm going to go back tomorrow for a little while.  I want to look again at the new and larger Sew Ezi table.  That might make it more comfortable sewing in Louisiana than up on that fold-out table.  They will ship it there for me if I decide to get it.  Need to think about that overnight.  Also Bernina has an awesome sewing chair.  I'll look at it again tomorrow and decide if the show price is special enough to get it now or wait until later.

I am so happy right now.  I haven't been to anything quilty since last January.  It was a much needed break in the monotony of my quiet little world.  And I'm heading into the sewing room right now to work on those 44 remaining James River Blues blocks.

Oh oh oh oh, I forgot something.  (Quit laughing!)  In the entryway to the convention center, there are quilts hanging from the various vendors.  The last one caught my eye.


It was the same block as in James River Blues.  It's a common block but I don't remember the name of it right now.  Anyway, the blocks were much smaller and the setting was stunning.  As you can see, part of the blocks were black and it really made a wonderful setting.

Okay, now I'm done!

14 comments:

Gwen said...

Looks like you had a good day. I see Jenny Doane use one of those irons in her videos. Hope it works out for you. I have found another one that I really like. Used one at retreat last summer and am putting it on my wish list. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great day, Vicky! Love the look of that quilt. Eve in GA

Cathy said...

Sounds like a very good day! And thanks for showing that white and black quilt, it is stunning.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

What a fun day! It's nice to get some inspiration and spend time with like minded friends.

Darlene said...

We can declare your visit to Road a success. :-)

Have fun tomorrow.

Kate said...

I'm pretty sure the block is a Jewel Box. Similar to Jacob's Ladder but fewer four patches. And I love that one with the blacks! And really, that's all you bought? Are you sure you're feeling well? ;)

mascanlon said...

It was so good to see you today! And glad you felt good enough to wander around and purchase a few things! Gotta grab those bobbins tomorrow before show closes!

Laura in IA said...

Sounds like a day in heaven. I know what you mean about it making you feel so happy. It always works for me - a day with quilts and like minded people. You got a wonderful selection of supplies considering you are like me in that you probably have all you need to quilt for years to come, but the exhilaration of seeing all the new available is priceless.

Please, if you will, do a review of your new iron after you have used it a while. I've been crippling along with $20 specials from Kmart for years. I tried Rowenta for a while but it lasted no better than the cheaper models. I would like something that made me happy every time I picked it up.

Thanks for a sharing your adventure at the quilt show.

Karen said...

I thought you would come home with more than you did.....but would have been a lot to carry around.

Anonymous said...

Vicky, I would give the Sew Ezi table some serious consideration. My friend has one and it was perfect at our retreat. Portability and space saver, all in one. And free shipping to LA makes it even better.
Loretta

Vicky said...

Loretta, I have the smaller Sew Ezi here that I take around to sew groups, not that I do that much any more. But the newer model is bigger and it really would work well over there.

Bennett and Graves said...

Well known secret, Sunday at Road is not crowded at all. Most vendors still have a decent amount of stock and you can see the quilts on display much more easily. So if the crowds put you off save that last day next year. Or do like me and go Every Day. And yes seeing quilters like Julie in person is just inspiring!

Laura said...

Sorry I missed you! Got to chat with Julie as well, and since we were there for 2.5 days, I made it to many of the vendors twice. ;-) My bank account is screaming, but I'm a happy girl. Tons of inspiration there.

Nini said...

Hope you get a Sew Ezi table...I love mine! So much that I even bought one for my oldest daughter, she has it set up in her apartment and uses it more than I do. I take mine to workshops or retreats, love love love it!