Monday, January 13, 2014

The Best Laid Plans

Well, I've been home a week and a half and have accomplished little to nothing.

My second day back at work I developed a horrible toothache.  Got in to see the dentist immediately.  He sent me to the endodontist immediately.  I'm going to need a root canal - that couldn't be done until the 20th.  The 20th.  That was like almost three weeks away.  The good news is that the crown won't have to be removed; they can go through it.  The bad news is it's another blasted root canal.  I told the dentists that I was sure every tooth in my mouth had been root canaled at least twice!

But both doctors assured me that the antibiotics and Prednisone would make it feel much better very quickly.  It didn't.  Not until today.  A week later.

So I haven't felt like doing diddly since I've been home.  The box with the clamshell project that I shipped back here to CA is sitting unopened.  I finally got clothes in the laundry yesterday as I was down to the last decent pair of underwear.  And you know what all moms probably say about decent underwear!

And the Saints lost!

But I digress ...

I think things will go better from here on out.  I plan on making headway on something in the sewing room next weekend.  I think I'll make clamshells 50 at a time, and then put them aside for a few days and do it again.  I did get the bed measured that this quilt will go on and made the header that the first row of clams will be attached to.  I did that on my last day in Louisiana.  It's just a matter now of making the rest of the clams and attaching the rows.  I will have to machine applique them, and I'm not looking forward to shoving around that much quilt top through the machine.  This quilt will be beautiful but it's going to be a slow process.  I want it done this year, so I'll keep plugging away at it. 

Another thing I want to get back to is my Short List.  That totally went by the wayside in 2013 because of the health issues.  The two quilts left on the list will be easy enough to finish up. One needs a final border and backing pieced.  The other needs to have the backing re-pieced because I made it too small.  Then I'll make a new Short List.  I already know one that will go on that list, or maybe two.  Five is the max on the short list!

Since a couple of folks emailed me to see if  I had fallen off the face of the earth, I thought I'd best post something. 

Here are some Christmas quilts that I shipped back to Louisiana.  The one in front was made not very long after I started quilting.  It was a "hard" quilt for me at that time.  The pattern was a free Moda pattern (which I wish I could find), and the fabric was Robyn Pandolph's Folk Art Christmas I and II - in the good old days when she was with Moda.  It will probably always be one of my favorites!


So I'm all caught up now on news - which wasn't very much.  But I managed to make a long post out of no news!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:  I found Moda's Folk Art Christmas Stars pattern!  It was Item #PS11, and was made using the I  and II collections.  I don't have the great color copy, but just a photocopied cutting sheet.  All of my newbie notes all over it crack me up!  I really wish Moda would re-release some of those old free patterns using the new lines.  I found several that I had printed off and they are great!  They were all in an overflowing binder on the bottom shelf of a bookcase.  I was so diligent back then about keeping it all organized!  I even found the info on the first two beginner classes I took in September of 2001!

I really examined this quilt over Christmas.  Considering I was a brand-spanking new quilter, I did a wonderful job on it.  All of the points were there and it was square and flat!  LOL.  I will definitely make this one again!

16 comments:

Carol said...

Darn...sorry you've been feeling icky...teeth are so painful, just make you feel bad all over. Love your quilts...and yes, I agree completely Folk Art Christmas 1 and 2 we absolutely beautiful! Some of the best fabric ever!

Anonymous said...

Darn, health wise, you just can't catch a break. Maybe it's the California air? I love your quilts. Are they on the floor in your living/dining room?

Ah, our Saints!! Until next year. At least we have Mardi Gras to help ease the pain of having the season end early.

Take care!
Loretta

Vicky said...

The family room. Thought I'd take advantage of the empty floor! :)

Gloria said...

I made the Folk Art Christmas quilt and I agree it is a beautiful quilt. Wish I had some of the border fabric. I have the pattern somewhere, let me know if you need it. It was a free pattern so I can send to you.

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry that you haven't been feeling well, glad the meds are finally working! I need to get back to my short list as well, I've done no sewing in 2014, it's been an odd start to the year. I think I need to start it over, as soon as my daughter goes back to school!

Karen said...

Ouch and double ouch! Not only for the toothache but for the hit on the pocketbook to pay for the root canal.

Your comment about a mother reminding you to always wear clean underwear. I heard a true story that happened many, many years ago. The child rode the bus downtown with her aunt to go shopping. That was in the times when you always wore a dress to go downtown. The child wet her pants by accident while they were on the bus. The aunt took off her panties and put them on the little girl. How it was done on the bus, I have no idea. And how the little girl kept them from falling down, I don't know. But the aunt was going to make sure the girl had on clean panties.....but what about herself?

Vicky said...

Quilter - I might! Thanks for the offer. I'm going to search the one place it might be before I bother you!

Darlene said...

Well, there you are. I wasn't fretting about you because I figured you were getting back into regular life after your trip.

Folk Art Christmas 1 and 2 were wonderful and major favorites of mine. I remember the pattern for the quilt you made. Beautiful quilts, Vicky.

Miss Jean said...

I had problems with a root canal and had to have it re-done about once a month for about a year! Yuck! I saw a Folk Art Christmas quilt in Georgia once when we were traveling and was hooked. I don't think she has designed anything as nice sinceW (Sorry Robyn!)

Deb said...

I can relate to the root canal issue, I've had them drill through two crowns to do root canals, and most recently had to have two root canals at the same time in teeth side-by-side, yuk! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Vicky said...

Miss Jean, I would almost agree with you - but for the fact that she did Secret Garden with Moda, and I might even throw Bed of Roses in there, too, again with Moda.

badlandsquilts said...

Glad the meds are kicking in and you are feeling better, hope the procedure goes smoothly. I am right with you on the slow start to the New Year... looking forward to a more productive week! Love your Christmas quilts!

Carrie said...

I love the quilts. I'm sorry about the Saints. I'm even sorrier about the root canal - loathe those. And I feel your pain about seeing a whole week pass without seeming to get anything done.

I'm also with you about the Folk Art Christmas fabrics - they were some of the best ever.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh gosh, it must be the year for dental problems. I will be the lucky recipient of a new crown (rolling my eyes here!) but not until the 23rd! Love your gorgeous row of quilts!

Tricia said...

Good gracious, Woman! I wish your little doggy could take care of you--or at least get some of your quilts quilted!
I am glad that at least your trip wasn't ruined by stupid dental problems. And glad that you are home safe, if not sound.
Don't hurt yourself anymore. Stay absolutely still and quiet. We need more of your quilty goodness one day...

pdudgeon said...

i agree with you on the Folk Art Christmas 1 and 2. Great fabric lines!
i love the sawtooth stars as well. they're quickly becomming my favorite quilt block to make.