Monday, January 20, 2014

James River Blues Blocks

I've sewn for two days - and I've loved every single second of it!

When taking inventory of the tub with the blocks, I was disappointed to find that I only had 30 done.  I was sure there were many more than that.  I did find lots of parts and pieces, and scraps cut to the correct size.  I had done so much cutting up front.  That's probably why I was sure I was further along.  But it was very easy to pick up again.

So now I have 100 blocks done!  Just need 44 more!


I made this project so much harder than it had to be by using the scraps.  I had bits of fat quarters and small odd shaped pieces from which I was able to cut at least one square.  There are a wide variety of fabrics, from Judie Rothermel dating back to the late 1990s up to more current reproduction fabrics from the last couple of years.  Nothing was strip pieced.  Those squares were sewn together one at a time!  Tedious, sure, but so enjoyable! 

I'm just about out of scraps now.  Before I go cutting into yardage, I want to look around at the quilt show next weekend and see if I can't find some small cuts of blues and shirtings that might work for fillers.  Variety will be key here. 

This was a fun weekend.  I definitely need to do this more often!!

11 comments:

Katie Z. said...

Your blocks are lovely, and taking the time to use all your scraps will surely make your quilt sparkle!

Judy Laquidara said...

I was so happy to see your link on the design wall link up. SO glad to see you sewing!

Mary said...

This is going to be a beauty. Good for you using leftovers. I have a lot of pieces I can't bear to throw away. I am looking forward to seeing progress.

Mary

Kate said...

You are out of scraps? YOU? I figured you have a near endless supply of FQs and such to choose from! ;)

Darlene said...

Wow, look at your progress!! I'm quite smitten with your blocks, Miss Vicky.

Cheryl said...

Love blue and white quilts,and it is so great to sew for the pure enjoyment of it.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Way to sew! I don't think I have ever said 'I am about out of scraps'~ although I have been close a few times. LOL Good luck finding just the pieces you are looking for!

Nini said...

Whah! You reminded me about the quilt show this weekend, which I always go to, but not this weekend. Off to visit my mother-in-law. But I'll go to a local quilt shop in her area and stock up, they always have such a big selection of fun things. Need anything?? Let me know!!

mascanlon said...

Very cool!!! Primitive Gatherings is there so i am sure you'll find some FQs to add in....can't wait to see you!!

Laura said...

Great-looking blocks! I'm looking forward to Road to CA - will be there Friday afternoon to Sunday with a bunch of gals from Bakersfield.

Deb said...

I think I have that pattern, just need to find it...hmmm - yours will be very pretty when you get it done!