Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Perils of UFOs

I decided this morning to go out to the Cottage and select two UFOs to work on - to get them ready to go to the quilter.

First up was the Moda Modern Building Blocks. I started this quilt in September of 2014.  I thought I just needed to find the backing, get it pieced, and it would be ready to send off.

Wrong.

I pulled it out of its tub and was immediately stuck in the finger by a pin.  Apparently I had pinned the top and bottom halves together and had never sewn the seam.  How dumb is that?  (sigh)  So that's first up on the agenda.

The next one I pulled out was the Metro Scope blocks that I made using the Quick Curve Ruler.  I started this one in July of 2014.  Apparently I started a lot of things in 2014 .......


I needed to fix this block.  Right before I moved, my friend, Mary Ann, and I went to the Quilt Loft in Upland CA, and I brought these blocks with me so I could get the backing.  I told Mary Ann something seemed off and I couldn't figure it out.  She took one look at it and saw that I had flipped a corner.  It's the top right, and you can see that I sewed it backwards.  I will get that one fixed, the blocks sewn together, backing pieced, and find someone to quilt it for me.

This isn't much on the sewing front, but it's a move forward in my little world.  Hooray!

My handy man came over yesterday and we measured where I want to put the design wall.  Next weekend I'll pick up the supplies and hopefully that will be done soon.  I have two or three sets of quilt blocks that I need to get up on a wall so I can get them arranged.  I've given up on doing it on the floor -- I can't get up and down easily, and Penny loves to run through the blocks and scatter them!

I didn't do squat this week as far as quilting.  Not even an appliqued basket.  Before I get back to those, though, I need to finish a binding.

No more starting something and not finishing!

Remind me I said that!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning my friend. If you are looking for someone local to quilt your quilts, I think you still have my number. If you want custom, I can recommend a few, and I love doing E2E.
Loretta

AnnieO said...

Beautiful colors in your building blocks. Nice that only a seam and a press and it's off to the quilter. I'm playing with the QCR today too. Funny, it's a project I picked for my guild's UFO challenge this year. My dilemma is not enough background fabric. I think maybe I planned a wall hanging rather than a throw. Wouldn't it be nice to remember to write notes before shoving a UFO into a box or bag? Good luck with the design wall install--someday I want one too.

carol fun said...

They are lovely looking UFOs... and I know lots about UFOs... I am a terrific starter, but I tend to fade before I get to the finish line. I too am going to try to resurrect some of my UFO's and get them off to the long armer. Addditionally I too will need to be reminded..probably lots of times...not to start so many new projects... but they are just so FUN! LOL happy stitching!

Thelma said...

Vicky, your Moda Building Blocks top is an easy finish and worth your time, I love that quilt Out of all the QCR blocks Metro Scope is one of my favorites. I remember making one block then getting distracted! That's all I have one block! Speaking of distractions, quilting is your hobby not your job, work on what makes you happy, who cares if you have any finishes! Really!!

mascanlon said...

I remember that trip! I miss our outings sooooo much! Somehow I didn't remember you got those Modern Building Blocks done. That's a quick finish if you have a backing ready. If not check out some of the wide backing so. It's such a quick way unless you are bound and determined to use a pieced back. And I am excited for your design wall, you will love having a permanent one.

Laura said...

I'd remind you, but then I'd have to remind myself, too. ;-)

Deb said...

I need to follow your lead! I have a few UFO's including the Moda Building Blocks quilt but I only have 6 blocks done! Need to get back to those two or three UFO's and finish them before I start anything else new!! If only I could retire so I could concentrate on quilting, but I have a few years yet before I can do that. Hope everything is going well for you!

Mimi said...

Any progress is good, so don't be hard on yourself. You'll be glad to see these quilts done. Good for you.

Marilyn said...

Vicky, you are off to a great start at getting things done! I am down to one huge binding to go (king), a baby quilt to load on the LA to quilt and bind and one beautiful queen to quilt. It screams custom to me but I have not mastered feathers yet.
Then I need to piece 2 - one for our son Todd and one for our friend from Tahoe, Cookie. Then, back to doing some for myself!

How are you enjoying your new job?


Miss you girl. Did not get to Road last weekend - we were off on a cruise. Drove right by the Conv. Center on Sunday but did not stop as dh wanted to get home. There is always next year!

Karen said...

Glad you are finding time to sew. How are you liking your new job?

Ruthie said...

Hi Vicky, I'm trying to work on some UFOs year too!

Marilyn said...

Vicky, I made that post (IQuiltToo) and my name is not Karen. Missing you so much, hope that all is going well. So glad to see you quilting again and hope you are enjoying your new job! Love you girl!