Sunday, November 09, 2008

2009 Stashbusting Goals

Yes, "goals" plural.

I need to reduce the amount of fabric I have. I can do that by making more quilts, which is what I really want to do, or get rid of some of it. Of course, after doing one or both of these things, I need to buy less fabric.

Now, I know myself well enough to know that I won't stop buying fabric. I love fabric. It's the highlight of my week to click on my favorite site, The Fat Quarter Shop, and browse and poke buttons. I just need to be more deliberate in my selections. I started doing that this year. Don't laugh! My purchases were still very large, but a lot of that was purchased with a plan in mind. There weren't many speculative purchases.

The future is never certain, and I feel this is the year that I must make plans and goals and stick to them. I have to and I will.

In the next few weeks I have to redo my stash room. The large shelves holding fabric are sitting on a non-weight-bearing wall, and those must be moved to the other side of the room. The thought of doing that is daunting, but it will afford me the opportunity to go through that stuff and make decisions.

So I'm onboard for with Judy for 2009. After eight years of buying (and making appx. 120 quilts) I'm overwhelmed and must gain control of the stash. May the best man win!

7 comments:

Karen said...

This is the second blog in a row that I read about the stash busting goals. And it isn't even New Year's yet! Good luck. I am trying not to push those buttons so easily myself. Oh, but it sure is fun to get those soft packages in the mail.

Vicki W said...

Good luck! I haven't decided what I am doing next year yet.

Granny said...

Having known your stash enhancing practices pre-2008, you deserve a big blue ribbon for having controlled your buying this year. 2009 will hopefully be a good year for all of us in lots of ways!

Julia said...

You go girl!! You can do it!!

julieQ said...

I am on board too...I just listed all the projects in progress, then the ones with the pattern and fabric purchased, then the loose ideas floating in my head. At least it is all down on paper and concrete, so I can pick a direction to go...

pdudgeon said...

don't forget to take a 'before' and 'after' pic of the big move.
those will make great inspiration pics as you go thru the next year.
good luck on your stash reduction.

lissa said...

How about reversible quilts to help bust the stash? I figure you would save the cost of batting if you put a quilt top on the front and a quilt top on the back. That would help use up some of my UFO's