Saturday, May 21, 2011

TGIS!

Thank goodness it's Saturday! I truly had a boring week this week. Oh, don't get me wrong. Lots and lots of important tasks were accomplished, but they were all "yawners."

I'm trying to decide whether to run errands today, or just stay indoors and play. That sounds funny. Remember how moms used to say, "Go outside and play"? It's just the opposite for me now. Inside is where all this luscious fabric resides. Inside is where my sewing room is. Inside is where I sit and applique. Yep, I stay inside and play!

Of course, Penny wants to go outside. She loves to roll in the grass and stroll me really close to all the blooming flower beds. Achoo!!! So we compromise. We walk longer but stick to the walking path. If I let her lollygag about, then we end up exploring all the blooming things and she doesn't concentrate on the task at hand, if you know what I mean. She's so stinking cute. Really has developed a cute personality. I must figure out the video thing because she's got twirling down pat! "Twirl, Penny!" That's all it takes to get her going. :)

I'm on the home stretch to completing 100 basket blocks. Maybe I can get that done today. I had a few things land on my doorstep this week, and I'm anxious to get those cut and ready for the baskets, nine patches, and the drunkard's paths. These fat quarters are from the Carolina line by Jo Morton. I know. I should have taken them out of the plastic to photograph! I will SO not be a photographer in my next life.

Oh, yeah, today is May 21st! Yikes! Maybe I should have held off poking these buttons on the off chance that it's all going to end today AND I would be one of those to go in the first group. Okay, I seriously doubt that would happen - going in the first group, I mean - but then again, no use leaving all that fabric at the Fat Quarter Shop when I could be enjoying it for few hours!

(Hmmm, I wonder if there's a quilting studio in the hereafter! There must be! I can't imagine the perfect world without one!)



Back to the mindless blabbering here ....

Most of the blues I'm going to pull put for the James River Blues project that I put aside last year. That was last year, wasn't it? Maybe the year before? Wow, I don't even remember with all the sickness and heartache in 2010. Doesn't matter because things are happier and brighter nowadays, and I'm wanting to do nothing but cut and sew and applique.



The pattern calls for 12 blues and 12 shirtings, but I wanted to use as many as I could. I started off with my scraps and managed to get about half of the blocks made just from those. I have a few more scraps and will combine those with a few more FQs that I found laying about and then these new blues. The blocks are easy to make and I would have been done with it long ago, but with scavenging the scraps and adding 1000 different fabrics instead of just 12, it's taken a bit longer. That's okay. I'm going to totally love the finished quilt! That's what important, isn't it? Well, that and having a ton of fun through the process!

So back to how this post all started -- I decided I'm going to stay in and play today! Errands can wait until tomorrow. I lost an earring last night and need to pick up a replacement pair, and I also absolutely positively MUST buy a new purse. I broke the handle on a nice one several weeks ago when I got to work, and dashed over to the (don't laugh) discount store near the office and picked up another one to use for just the day. Well, that's been weeks. It's time to go purse shopping. I tend to use the same one until it's worn out. Maybe I should buy two of them this time. Since I'm going to be here after today, you know.

10 comments:

antique quilter said...

oh love the blue and shirting block! thats going to be a great quilt scrappy, good for you looking thru the stash and using what you have . how big will the quilt be?
I do the same thing with pocketbooks use them till they wear out.
but I do have another one in case if I had to .
yes maybe you need two!
great new fabrics, yes I broke down and ordered some too!
have a great weekend, good for you staying in and playing! Have fun
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Vicky, your post made me LOL! It is just super to hear you so cheerful, tongue-in-cheek, etc.
Love the blue blocks. It's going to be a great quilt.
Get Penny to give another twirl, just for me, so you can giggle some more.
Enjoy your sewing! Eve

pdudgeon said...

i loe those James River Blues fabrics! reminds me that it's almost time to get out my blue and tan tumbler quilt i made last year.
Must look up those James River Blues also and see if there's any more left.
I'm with you on the Quilt Shop in Heaven. i keep hoping that i will be gifted with all the quilts that i would have made if i had the time and money when i get there.
love all your projects that you're making now.
oh and Penny's twirling...is it 'tail-chasing twirling", or "ballerina twirling"? whichever, it must be fun to watch.

WoolenSails said...

I love the blues and shirtings, that is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Staying in and playing the weekend sounds like a fantastic idea to me! Ooooooo I've got to skirt over and see about some of that Jo!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Love your new fabrics! And your blue block is so cute! In case I'm not here tomorrow, I will say have fun playing! ;-) Twirl Penny! :-))

mascanlon said...

Love all these projects Vicky! My project since Thursday? adoring my new granddaughter, Ilicka! Born Thursday about 9:30PM. Today the new family headed home and Nana is cooking, shopping and bringing a few dinners and lunches. Good thing I finish the ctib skirt last week!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

LOVE those blue shirting blocks!

I love Dooney & Burke purses cause you can trade them in when you where them out! (usually half of current retail)

Unknown said...

Personally, I'd get three purses, two sets of earrings and a new pair of shoes...just because!
Thanks for sharing the pictures...

Carol said...

Staying in is a very good thing...I always pick staying in and sewing to doing errands. Love Carolina...I ordered it! Your blue and shirting block is wonderful! LOVE Penny! She has so much personality!