Saturday, October 10, 2009

Been Out of the Loop

This week has been one of those that I would never wish on anyone.

My brother, following his back surgery in New Orleans on the 1st, had to be admitted to the local hospital in the town where he lives for pain management. After given morphine, he tanked and was put in ICU. Numbers kept dropping so he was intubated, and it was touch and go for a while. I'm happy to report that although he is still in ICU, he seems to be doing much better and should make a complete recovery. Needless to say, I was glued to the phone and on stand-by with a packed bag.

A person at work who is very important to me has cancer, and their battle has been one of ups and downs. While I was in Louisiana, they had emergency surgery. Things are looking better now, and I hope that keeps improving. ("They" is gender neutral here for confidentiality reasons.)

And while all this was going on, I was frantically trying to finish up quarter-end financials in case I had to fly out.

One thing I've realized in all of this -- I need to go home more than once a year. I'm going to try to schedule a week in Louisiana in the spring as well as the fall. Don't know how that's going to work out since I'm snowed in through mid July, but surely I can find a few days strung together to visit with my brother. Life is too darn short.

Quilting? No. But after my haircut this morning, I'm spending the remainder of the weekend organizing the sewing room and stash room. I truly can't remember what I have any more.

7 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

I know what you mean about distance ... my mother lives in San Diego (across the country). I go once a year. She's over 80 now so I might have to start going more often.

I hope your brother continues to improve. AND "they" do too.

Julia said...

So sorry to hear about your brother and your friend. I hope that both of them will continue to do well. Life is too short, we need to make more time for the ones we love, including ourselves! (((hugs)))

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Sorry to hear about your brother and your friend. Praying that both get better soon. Maybe you will need to retire early so you can go home sooner! ;0) Have a great weekend!!!

Miss Jean said...

I'm so sorry about what you are going through. It just seems like at times life dumps on you big time. We're going through that right now and it's really tough. Just when one thing looks like it's resolved, something else comes up even worse.

All I can say is hang in there and I'm sending love and hugs from me and Maggie.

Thelma said...

You have a stash ROOM??

AnnieO said...

Scary business, having to be intubated, but glad to hear things stabilized. Modern medicine can be amazing. I hope your work friend improves too. My work friend's son is dying of multiple kinds of cancer and it has been very difficult for her. Going home has lots of benefits, I hope you get there more often.

Marla said...

Please do make the time to visit. I nearly didn't go to visit my brother this July. Unfortunately, it was the last visit I had with him. I am so glad I went. (if you read my blog, it was under the guise of auntie camp) You may make excuses...money, time, ect., but you can make more money, change your schedule...you will never regret the loss of time and money when you have memories that will last a lifetime. I hope everyone in your life heals and does so quickly!