Friday, November 19, 2010

Minick and Simpson

That title sure got your attention, didn't it? :)

Well, I have to say ... I'm over the moon about the box that arrived while I was in Louisiana.

Back in October, Polly Minick and Laurie Simpson had an auction on their Minick and Simpson blog. The auction was for the Semper Fi Fund, an organization dedicated to serving wounded Marines and their families. I never in a million years thought that I'd win the auction, but wanted to help this very worthy cause.

Long story short -- I won both items! As my friends and readers know, I'm a huge Minick and Simpson fan. I love their designs, their fabrics, their colors. Okay, I'm a groupie! I'll admit it!

The quilt by Laurie Simpson is absolutely gorgeous! I have been collecting wool forever but was slightly afraid of working with it. After pouring over this quilt, I'm now ready to dive right in. I even have a bolt (or two) of this dark blue wool. The prairie points add an interesting touch to the quilt, and Laurie's hand quilting and hand applique are fabulous!



Polly's wool rug is stunning! My flash washed out the dark blue, but the picture on their blog is true color. I'm so in awe of rug hookers, especially Polly! She makes it look so easy, but it's not. Oh, how I wish I could make something this beautiful!



I received emails from both Laurie and Polly after the auction. Polly also sent a letter saying that the Semper Fi Fund is a labor of love for her as her son is a Marine Colonel.

Semper Fi Fund has been added to my list of annual donations. I hope that everyone can find a few dollars during this holiday season to send to the Fund. Those Marines, and all of our service men and women, are what make America the wonderful country that it is! God bless you, Colonel, and thank you!

Laurie and Polly, thank you for bringing the Semper Fi Fund to our attention. You are both totally awesome! Your rug and quilt will be cherished forever!

8 comments:

Carol said...

What a wonderful treat to come home to. Beautiful! Does Penny think that's her rug?

Karen said...

I like their fabrics and designs. I made a quilt from one of their books. It is the one with piecing in the middle and an applique border of houses, snowmen, kids on sleds, etc.

You now own some nice pieces. Does Penny get to lay on the rug?

Vicky said...

No, no, that rug is off limits to Penny! She was in a bit of a snit about that as you can see in the picture! LOL

Miss Jean said...

Congratulations on your winning bids! Thank you from this Navy mom whose son is currently deployed!!!

Gwen said...

I know that was a thrill to come home to! Both pieces are beautiful! I hadn't realized the quilt was wool. Enjoy! Hugs!

Darlene said...

Beautiful treats to enjoy for years to come.

Thank you for from this AF Brat and wife of a retired veteran.

Linda said...

The rug is stunning and the quilt is gorgeous! Penny seems to like the rug as well! I'm glad they came home to you!

Monica said...

Lucky gal! I was the first bidder and never got back to make another bid...although I doubt I would have been able to outbid you.