Sunday, November 28, 2010

Stash Report 2010 - Week 47

I don't even know why I'm continuing to report. Well, there's the comedy factor for my readers!

Busted this week were 9.75 yards that were given away. There has been absolutely no sewing done at all for months on end here.

Nothing purchased. After all, what could I possibly need? I know, I know. Since when has "need" entered into the picture? Seriously, though, I have my eye on one small kit at the Fat Quarter Shop that won't be out until later next year. I have a recipient in mind for that quilt. And I'm sure I'm going to want Charlevoix yardage when it comes out. Maybe some La Petite Ecole yardage. Other than that, I don't plan on getting much else in the coming months. Well, I guess I have a couple of BOMs on order, so the finishing kits and backings for those will be incoming. But my "want" list is much shorter right now.

The first six months of the year are stressful at work but I hope to at least finish up some UFOs and get them quilted during that period. I did that last year and ended up finishing about eight or so quilts. That reduced the bulk in my sewing room - although you can't tell because of all the FQS boxes sitting around.

I'm working on my New Year's goals. I need to get back to my "quilting core" here. Just need to figure out how to do that in a realistic, do-able fashion. It needs to be fun for me again. I need to stess less and enjoy more while sewing. I can do that ... I think!

Year-To-Date:

Busted: 412.02 yards
Purchased: 594.03 yards
Net YTD: (182.01) yards busted :(

Be sure to visit Judy's Patchwork Times to see how the rest of the quilting world is doing on their stash busting!

16 comments:

Kate said...

Your fabric out is awesome for this year! I'm firmly on the NO FABRIC wagon until I can reduce some stash. I'm completely out of room.

I get the stressed out work syndrome. What I've been doing the last month is making an attempt to spend at least 15 minutes working in my sewing room every evening. I find once I get in there and get going, I enjoy it and usually end up working until bed time. But I have to get in there for that to happen.

Hope you find your quilty muse soon!

SpinningStar said...

good luck with deveopling your quilty goals for the new year. I agree that it needs to be fun and for you!
liz

Darling Jill Quilts said...

If buying fabric is what makes you happy, then don't stress about that! your numbers really look better than last years no matter what! ;)

Unknown said...

Don't be down. Seriously you enjoy fabric, it brings you great pleasure and you can afford it. If it was hurting you financially that would be another thing.
Make your realistic goals. Get through this time at work. And breathe.
Fabric doesn't go bad, and the only one who's judgment matters is your own.

Charlene S said...

I agree with Kate...when my muse disappeared, I just went into my sewing room, set my timer for 30 minutes of 'me' time and piddled around. Sometimes I read magazines and looked at patterns.Sometimes I put fabrics together to see how they would look. I did NO sewing just de-stressing and the love for sewing/quilting came back stronger than ever.

Happy Room Diana said...

When I get low about having too much fabric and still wanting more, I re-label it as a collection, and if your collecting something you don't want to go using it!

Katie Z. said...

Jill's right - you're doing better than last year, and you can afford to buy - feel free to enjoy that for now!

mascanlon said...

Oh my gosh...I was zero in and zero out...since we have been in KC all week with family and its all about babies and food not fabric this week. But tomorrow I will have time to do some blackfriday shopping I think! Glad you had a nice holiday and Penny didn't snitch all the turkey!

Sharon said...

Most of us ebb and flow with our quilting mojo. I seem to have just got back into the sewing room using my machine. I started to look for a pattern, which set me off on a cleaning binge, and I have ended up spending quite a bit of time either cutting or sewing this weekend. Do you write down your quilting goals? Every few years I list projects based on their stage of completion, and I'm doing this again this year.

Perry said...

I lost my love of quilting for a good while this year, Vicki. I think it just happens sometimes and we just have to sit back and smell the roses. As one of your readers says, buying fabric makes you happy so do it. Don't know what to tell you about where to put it though, lol. It will come, just give it a rest.

Lori said...

not going to the auction for the puppy? Penny looks like she's in a bad fitting bra. Yeah, that rumpled "I can't believe I'm wearing this" look. I promise not to look closely at your numbers, but just read the posts!

Debbie said...

Hey Vicky,
If you manage to figure out how to stress less and find more quilting time, will you please let me know????
I thought you were writing about my life! :)

Carol said...

Vicky, you've had a rough year...do whatever makes you happy. Don't forget you're investing in your retirement...look at all the wonderful fabric and projects you'll have all ready to go when you retire. Did you get Block 1 of the Fall in Paris BOM?

suz said...

I think you've done fantastic! BTW, loved Penny's pink shirt!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Take small steps~ if you set big, unrealistic goals you will get discouraged. Just do a bit~ sometimes I tell myself I'm going to sew for 20 minutes, well at the end of 20 minutes I don't want to stop. :-) And on days when all I can do is make mistakes, I read. :-)) Have a happy week!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

you continue to report because we love to read about it all!! i missed reporting this week b/c i'm sick... but i'll do a double report this weekened