Sunday, January 14, 2007

AAQ Retreat Project 2006


I'm pleased to have this finished, but the HSTs just about did me in. I don't know about everyone else, but I think they're absolutely the most boring block in all of Quiltdom! I'm going to piece the backing and binding right now. I'm afraid if I put this fabric away, it'll get relegated to the UFO pile again!
The weather outside is absolutely gorgeous. It's probably in the low 50s now and crispy; more like autumn would feel in the rest of the country, but here in SoCal we call this winter! Daisy was highly indignant that she had to walk on crunchy grass this morning. Maybe Speck will loan her a pair of his knitted booties!

I'm looking forward to the Road to California quilt show next weekend. I'm probably just going over there on Saturday or Sunday when it's really crowded. Work is just too busy now to take my usual Thursday and Friday off. However, I want to see the quilts, and perhaps come away inspired. Well, no "perhaps" about it. I'm always inspired by the quilts. A friend has a quilt accepted in the show, and I sure want to get a picture of that hanging. Cross your fingers that I won't have to work both days next weekend.

Yesterday I went over to The Fabric Patch to buy my Road entry bracelet just in case I can make it to the show. This is the first time I have been to the FP since it changed ownership. It looks a little different, but is mostly the same. Since it closed, Jane and I have been exploring a lot of other shops in the vicinity, and I really haven't missed going to the FP. Of course, with Ginger's new shop nearby, and the fact that they're open until 7:00 at night, that is where I will be spending most of my quilty dollars this year.

I mentioned in a previous blog wanting to look for homespun plaids at Road. Well, Jane came over yesterday with a huge box of them from her stash. Frankly, I'm surprised that she had them. She's thinks I'm nuts because I like folk art quilts! LOL. And I was totally overwhelmed that she brought them to me. I'll never use them all, and I hope that she reclaims them should she ever want them back. But what a nice surprise! So I'm all set. No need to even look at the vendors at the quilt show. (rolls eyes here) :)

I decided to finish up this quilt today. Even though I started it in November, 2006, I'm going to count the stash depletion against 2007 total. So a grand total of 14.75 yards stashbusted this year to date! Not bad, but obviously I'm not sewing fast enough!

7 comments:

Joyce said...

I agree that HSTs are pretty boring but the results are wonderful on your quilt. I envy you the chance to go to the Road to California quilt show. Enjoy yourself!

Tazzie said...

You did a great job getting all the HST's done, it definitely is a mindless job. I hope you get the chance to go to RTC, I wish I could come with you!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Angie said...

I can only imagine how long it took you due to boredom to get the HSTs done, but girl, it does make that quilt pop!!! And BTW I just love it!! I'm always on the lookout for plaids/homespuns too, so you're one lucky gal! :P

Unknown said...

So glad you got that top finished. It's beautiful! I seem to use HST's more than anything else (but you already know that) and yes, they are boring.

Speck has no booties but he surely needs some!

Judy L.

Patti said...

It looks so good, and the triangle border adds a great deal. I guess I'm strange - I love half square triangle squares. Yes, they are pretty boring, but that's why I watch movies while I'm piecing and trimming. There is just no end of things you can do with a good collection of half square triangle squares!

Anonymous said...

Are the HSTs boring because you're doing them singly? Perhaps it would be less aggravating if you did them eight at a time, which is what I do ... I'm sure you know this trick -- double the size of the finished HST, add 1.25-inches, and place RST ... mark diagonally both ways on the lighter fabric then sew .25-inch on either side. Cut fabrics vertically and horizontally, et voila!!
Oh, you knew how to do that, didn't you??
God bless, Christine in Los Angeles

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Too funny because I absolutely love making mindless little blocks like HST's and log cabins!!! Maybe you should do them as leaders/enders mixed in with other projects? It looks great, so well worth the effort!!! Enjoy the quilt show, even if it is a bit crowded. Oh - and short strips are good too because you can always use them for the corners or the 1st pieces in log cabins...

Cheers!

Evelyn