Sunday, January 14, 2007

Question About Scrappy Strips

The shopping bag on the side of my cutting table is full of scraps, and another of my resolutions this year is to strip those down into my strip tubs when the bag gets full.

My question: Is there a minimum length strip that you all cut? I've got some that are 4-6 inches, and I'm wondering if I'm wasting time cutting those. Of course, maybe because I'm sentimental about the fabric is why I'm wanting to do it. But if they're useless, I don't want to waste time on them. Thanks.

Oh, a friend called me this afternoon to let me know that I megged her on the phone yesterday! She popped over to her quilt shop and bought the patterns that I mentioned when we talked. Another notch in the old megging belt! LOL

7 comments:

Patti said...

When the strips are that short I usually cut them into squares or bricks instead of leaving them as strips.

quiltpixie said...

depends on what you're going to do with your strips, but I usually toss that size into its own tub without trimming for use in crumb blocks....

Silverthimble said...

I also use the bits for crumb blocks.

Nancy said...

Any strip I can't get 4 squares of that size out of gets cut into squares, bricks, and 5-6" piano keys for borders.

Clare said...

I cut them down to about 4" and use them for letters. I've got a bin full of them!

Angie said...

They're also wonderful for using in "Little Quilts" quilts. ;P

Paula, the quilter said...

The smallest strips I save is a rectangle about 2" x 5". The foundations I cut from Kabinet Wax are 5x10 so these strips work well for my paintbucket quilts.