Friday, January 19, 2007

Went to Road to California this morning


What a wonderful quilt show! And the vendors - oh, my!

The Best of Show was an appliqued quilt with a carrousel horse on it. Lots of beading. It was gorgeous. I didn't take my camera with me, and I protested and didn't get a program because they were charging $1 for them this year. (I know, I know -- I'll pick one up this weekend.) I can't tell you who the quilter was or anything else about the quilt, but it was lovely.

As usual I was inspired by the gorgeous appliqued quilts. I didn't see but a few pieced quilts that tugged at my heartstrings. But there was one .... oh, drat, why didn't I buy a program! Silly girl! I'll fill in details tomorrow!

I was so good at the vendor booths. I think the 'stashbuster' mentality is starting to sink in! Finally! This is the first time that Jane and I were able to do the show together, and I was fully expecting that we'd be megging each other right and left. We found six or eight FQs each of black and whites that we're collecting for our Freddy Moran quilts. And we each bought an FQ of a couple of watermelon fabrics. I bought two quilt patterns for stashbusting, one just because, and one wool Christmas ornament pattern, also for wool stashbusting. And since I can never resist the Schoolhouse Quilts booth, I picked up 12 FQs of Judie Rothermel's newest shirtings. Now, you've got to understand that every year I spend hundreds of dollars in that booth. 12 FQs! Gasp! Have I been cured?

For a friend I was able to pick up two rounds of indigo fabric from Cotton in the Cabin. She is going to start a Dutch Treat quilt like mine. These folks travel quilt shows and are hard to order from online, so I was delighted to be able to get those for her. That was my mission for today!

I'm tired, but so inspired. I have wanted always to make an appliqued carrousel horse quilt. I've had that whirring around in the bowels of my mind for three years now. I've even tried to do some sketching, and have been studying pictures of old carrousels. I guess I won't be doing that now - it just won't seem original since the BOS winner had the same thought! Geez, I wouldn't even attempt it now after seeing that quilt!

The new quilt shop, Ginger's, was packed with customers today. I'm delighted for her. She is such a sweet person, and I really want to see her succeed!

One thing I am going to get this weekend is from the Cherrywood Fabrics booth. I blame Judy for this as she sent me some Cherrywoods a couple of years ago, and I've been ga-ga over them ever since. I want to use them to make the first one-hour quilt project but I don't have enough background. I need to cut a swatch of what I picked up last year and see if I can match it. That's my mission for the weekend!

Will post quilt pix tomorrow - if I remember my camera!

8 comments:

Granny said...

Hey, I didn't know you were going there today! Sounds like you really might be in remission, if not cured! Give up the $1 and get that program tomorrow!:)

Judy L.

Anonymous said...

I stole a program at the Nashville show. I didn't know it until I laid it down somewhere and went to get another. The man said, "That'll be a dollar." I said, "Oh, I've already paid to get in," and flashed my stamped hand. He looked a little confused and finally it dawned on me what I'd done. I laughed and paid him the dollar and told him it was the least I could do for stealing the first one.

Looks like some very judicious shopping. Thanks for the blow-by-blow. Keep it up--and post pictures!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I absolutely looooooove quilt shows!!! I am so envious of you now!!! Have a wonderful time there tomorrow and take lots of pictures,
dawn

Sweet P said...

The Road to CA show is one I have on my list to attend some day. It always coincides with DH going to LA for a conference (he leaves tomorrow) so maybe one of these years I'll get to go.

Sounds like No-Buy is starting to sink in with you. Good luck on sticking with it.

sewprimitive karen said...

Sounds like you had so much fun. You kept me busy googling Cherrywood Fabrics and Schoolhouse Quilts, which sites I have seen before but haven't kept bookmarked.

Quilting Kim said...

It sounds like you had a good day as well as "being good". I absolutely love that Hey Cupcake pattern. Who knew - the only thing that I can bake - would become a hot item (LOL)!

Cher said...

nice restraint! baby steps and you are doing well.

Laurie Ann said...

Sounds like a blast!!! Hope you get some pics for us tomorrow.