Saturday, January 31, 2009

Scrap Books



I picked up these two books at Ginger's this week. I know, I know, I'll admit it. I'm a book junkie! Anyway, sooner or later I'm going to have to deal with scraps as they're multiplying at an alarming rate. There are seven or eight quilts in these two books that I really like. I thumbed through these books for the last couple of weeks before deciding that I really needed them. Needed? Well, I wanted them.

My problem? I feel guilty thinking about scraps when I've got oodles of uncut yardage to deal with. I feel guilty about even considering making something that won't bust stash except for backgrounds and backing. Well, maybe "guilty" is too strong a word, but my Catholic soul loves that word! LOL. I don't think this kind of guilt is something that needs to be confessed, but it's a tad bit bothersome to me.

I was laughing out loud this morning about the scraps. While I don't think I'll be making the big move back home for at least five more years, but I had a vision of the movers in here saying, "Hey, lady, you really don't want us to pack these scraps, do you?" Think about that for a second. Would you pay good hard-earned money to pack and move SCRAPS? Yes? No? I mean, for crying out loud, they're scraps!

Well, maybe they're more than just scraps. They are a history of the quilts I've made. They are the remnants of fabric that I have petted and loving cut and sewed. They represent a journey for me ... one that takes me all the way from the brain that couldn't comprehend things no matter how hard I tried - to a quilter who can make almost anything I put my mind to. And the scraps I'm talking about are not only my own scraps, but tubs of historically signficant scraps I've accumulated along this journey of the past seven years. Oh, Lordy, I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about my scraps!

So I sit here this morning pondering my scraps. Do I deal with them now, or do I let the movers deal with them in five years? To quote Yogi Berra, "I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vicky, I love your thoughts on scraps! They are a part of our history as quilters and our taste in fabric. I try to make a scrap quilt or two every year. It helps keep things under control. If you use a pattern go ahead and add up the total yardage used. They usually include an approximate amout of scaps so take that off the stash! Hugs, Gwen

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

I say play with your scraps. Even if it's not yardage it'll make some (even if it's only minute) space in your sewing room. You will just have to stay away from looking at FQS until you get done with the top. LOL I had been looking at the book on the right, but never have seen the other one. I'll have to check it out.

Paula said...

Take a couple of pieces of yardage you love, add in some scraps, make a quilt and you will assuage your guilt a bit!!

Carol said...

Using scraps brings with it a whole new way to buy fabric...you use your scraps but then you don't have quite enough of the right scraps...so off to buy more. It never ends. LOL!

Anonymous said...

You could find a pattern you like in your scrap book and use your cut pieces as leaders and enders when you do your other projects. You can kill two birds with one stone that way. Bust yardage and scraps. You'll have a scrap quilt before you know it.

Quilterbee

pdudgeon said...

definitely save your scraps. they are potential quits just like the yardage is.

as for how to count the amount of scraps used, just find a quilt of a similar size and use the same yardage figures for your scraps.

Leah Spencer said...

Scraps cost the same as yardage!

I have the book on the left (just bought it too), and they have some GOOD quilts in there that I'd like to make.

Are you into charm packs or jelly rolls? (I know you do love FQs!) But I'm sure you could make an inch or two of a dent cutting up strips or squares. Plus, they probably pack nicer.

Joyce said...

I say do all three. Use some and save some. The books look very interesting, esp the one on the right.

Nan said...

Oh Vicky, how I love your scrappy thoughts! I feel the same about my scraps - they are a history of every quilt I've made! I couldn't part with any of mine, either. I think you should do whatever your heart desires with your scraps. You have given me food for thought, that's for sure. I may have a scrap quilt in my future! Love the Yogi quote, too.

Anonymous said...

Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent.
I actually like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you're saying and the way
in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise.
I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a great
web site.

My web-site - taobao company profile