Monday, January 21, 2008

Road to CA is History


I'm really tired. I walked the floor all day Friday and Saturday. On Sunday I dropped Judy off and came home to do a few things, and went back to meet her an hour before the show closed. We picked up our quilts after the show, picked up take-out Mexican, and plopped down on the sofa for the rest of the evening!

My quilt looked really nice hanging there. I was nervous about it hanging straight and flat, but it did! Whew! LOL. It was truly an honor to have it juried in, but it will be the last. Unless I wake up one day and realize I've morphed into a show quiltmaker, and I'm certain that won't happen!

The judges' comments were interesting. They liked the background color choice and they "really liked" the inner border. The quilting designs filled the spaces well with "smooth curves," and the placement of the strawberry fabrics created "unity" in the quilt. However ... the proportion of the blocks and sashing created too much "negative space"; I'm really not a very accurate piecer, and I need to improve my mitered corners. Okay, I can live with that. But you can bet I will go over those blocks with a fine-toothed comb to find the problem areas.


Judy's quilt was phenominal. Unfortunately, it's hard to capture the quilting in a picture with the black thread on black fabric. It truly is a stunning quilt.


And our little Miss Judy completely sold out of books and was taking orders for autographed books to be shipped to the buyers. She was awesome! Her accent drew a lot of comments, and there were lots of laughs coming from her corner of the booth. There was always a crowd around her. That gal surely can talk!! I was so proud of her!

I'm still amazed at how little I purchased at the show. Quite a change from prior years! I figured I'd be panic shopping on the last day, but other than picking up something for a friend, and one little wool candle mat pattern with pumpkins, I didn't see anything that I couldn't live without!

Back to the grindstone today. The rest of the month will be awfully busy.

Gratitudes:

~ Quilting friends
~ Inspiration
~ Laughter

10 comments:

Granny said...

They didn't like the negative areas around my piecing either but that's what I like . . places to quilt so I'll just continue to make them the way I like them! Your quilt was beautiful hanging there and I saw lots of people taking pix of it. I am so proud of you for not buying. I fully expected to see you Sunday evening loaded to the gills with shopping bags full of fabric!

Norma said...

Thanks so much for posting pictures of the quilts. I was there, I must have seen them but it got fuzzy after I looked at so many and so much.

Well, the judges can take their "negative" spaces and you know what...........LOL They are wonderful. Wonder what they said about a couple that I saw there that were plain awful? Meowwww.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Negative spaces? Well excuse me ... I thought that was the purpose of putting them in was to showcase gorgeous quilting! I love your quilts ....

atet said...

Hehehe -- with judges it's always hard to tell what they will "like". In the end -- do you like it? Are you proud of it? That's all that counts really! It sounds like you found some great notions at the show -- and not a whole lot of fabric for the stash! Wooo Hooo! Thanks for sharing the adventure!

Bon said...

That's the problem with judges; it is all subjective. Different set of judges may have given you both blue ribbons. If you are happy with them, that's all that is important. Oh, and by the way, I love them both.

hugs

Kim said...

Vicky, don't worry about the judge's comments--it's just one person's opinion (or maybe a couple judges' opinions depending on how they judge, but probably just one person). Truly what they are is suggestions for the future, and those judges look for perfection, believe me! Remember, too, that what one judge likes may be the same thing another judge doesn't like--it's very subjective. I've tried to learn from judges' comments and I think my work has improved from it, but there's still stuff that I take with a grain of salt--or a whole lot of grains of salt stuck to the rim of a margarita glass! ROFLOL!

tami said...

Personally, I think the negative space is part of what makes the design interesting. I don't think their comments should keep you from putting more quilts in shows if you want to.
I'm very impressed with your restraint on purchases. Good job.

Lindah said...

So what's all this "negative space" business? I thought Californians liked their wide open spaces. Oh, right, not too much open space in Orange Co. et al.

I like your quilt just like it is. I tried to imagine it with less "negative space" and I preferred it as is. It's beautiful!

Nan said...

Both quilts are amazingly beautiful, no matter what the judges say! I have never thought of a quilt in terms of "negative" space. There's nothing negative in quilting, is there? I don't think so!
Such a nice picture of Judy, too.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I think the quilts are gorgeous!!