Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday 1-13-08 Report

I busted zero stash this week! Zero! Oh, wait, I take that back. I prepped a block at Applique Club on Thursday night. Wow, probably a fat quarter total! A whole fat quarter! But after this month is over, I'm going to be busting stash big time!! I'm getting together my game plan!

Last night I was talking to Jane. We are both rearranging and cleaning out our stashes. And we both came to the same conclusion .... we have way too much stuff!

I was going on and on about how I kept finding boxes of fabric yesterday, and that I thought I finally had it all rounded up. I was telling her about the kits in my bedroom closet, the closet full of bolts in the stash room, etc., etc., when she reminded me of the linen cabinets in the hallway full of Robyn Pandolph stash. Darn, I forgot about that. And I also just remembered those two big boxes stuffed in the bottom of the pantry in the kitchen.

I'm disgusted with myself. Totally disgusted. And that's a good thing to be with Road to CA next week! I can remember the first Road after I started quilting. I spent so much money there. I bought every blasted thing that caught my eye. The ensuing years were better, but still way too many purchases. Last year I got $300 out of the cash machine on the way over there, and came home with money. This year I'll do the same thing. I am buying NO fabric! None! And NO kits! If I just can't live without a pattern or some quilty notion, I'll get that. But NO fabric! I'm going this year for inspiration. I want to look at the quilts, and see if I can't find something to motivate me! That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!!

So back to stash busting .... year to date .... I ordered a couple of yards that I needed for a very special project that I'll be making after Road, and I only busted a few fat quarters on applique.

I figure I've negatively busted about 1.25 yards. That's <1.25> yards busted so far this year. Negative. As in more incoming than outgoing. ROFLOL. I can't wait for February to roll around! That number is going to change significantly!

Oh, shoot. I just went in the garage to toss a box in the recycle can and found another box of fabric out there. I remember unloading the trunk of the BMW before trading her in on the new QuiltMobile .......

And for those of you who asked if my dryer was still playing Christmas music - it's not. I guess wherever that little disc is in there, it finally died. Thank God!!

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

Don't beat yourself up! Are you doing better than last year at this time? If so, be happy with it!

Silverthimble said...

It sounds like you have a plan and are determined to stick to it! Best of luck with the stash busting!

Cheryl said...

I here you about the disgusted part! I was going through my closet and I can't believe what I have piled in there, but yet I keep adding to it!! You are doing great!

Randi said...

Yea, I'm with Vicki...don't beat yourself up...just start using that fabric up!:-)

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Maybe the disc melted.Did you check all your clothes? When you go to put something on it's gonna start singing to you. ROFLOL!!! I agree with the fabric thing. I'm going to be very selective at Road. I've been there before and left with nothing. The past few years I've seen nothing that I had to have. Last year I think I spent at Bird Brains booth on thread, thread holders and a couple patterns.

Karen (Misiz C) said...

I can totally relate to finding fabrics stashed around the house. Just last week I found several more yards in a plastic bag.. in a tub. Sheesh! Two more closets and I think I will have uncovered all the hidden stash...I hope! :P

Realizing you have enough (and then some *grin*) is where it all begins. So don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck at Road and if you see me there, you have permission to search my bags. LOL

Marla said...

Great report....however, it did make me feel even more shame for buying so much fabric. I too have tons of STUFF! However, as long as our minuses are bigger than our pluses this year, we'll be doing good!

Bon said...

I'm waiting to hear the report from R2CA. We'll see if "NO" won out. LOL You are just too funny. I'd be willing to bet you will stumble on some fabric around your condo somewhere in the near future. I know how you are. LOL

Mary Johnson said...

Oh Vicky, I'm busting stash but I'm transferring my purchases to embellishments. I'm in a postcard and crazy quilt frenzy. I've been trying to build up my library in those areas and my embellishment stash.

I'm going to visit my sister Deb in a couple weeks and she's already said there's a local quilt show that weekend with vendors AND she has a great bead shop to take me to. I know my stash report will suffer that week.

Kim said...

I'm in denial on excess fabric issues, so I'll just say--aren't you glad your dryer wasn't playing It's a Small World?! ROFLOL!

atet said...

Hey -- you did what you did in January. There are 11 more months in the year. This isn't a contest to see who uses the most -- it's a way for you to feel better about your stash and your spending. Frankly, it doesn't matter if you have too much (well, unless you can't sit, can't pay your bills, and/or the fabric is falling over and crushing you). Do you enjoy what you have and/or what you make? Then do what you wish :0).

Norma said...

Leaving AZ for the Road to California on Sat. I am sooooo excited!!

I have a shopping list and sticking to it.......yeah, sure, where did you say to look for that book guy? LOL

Donna said...

Your Sunday report was so funny, I laughed all the way through it. You'll work down your stash other weeks and the next thing you know you'll be out of your favorite color. Good luck staying strong at Road.

Betty J in OKC said...

I understand about trying NOT to buy anything. I just went to the OKC Winterquiltshow and accidently ended up with 75 FQs and about 6 yds of yardage. I'm interested in seeing your total "Won't Power" after the quiltshow. j/k