Sunday, January 13, 2013

Coming Out Even

Years and years ago I had a condo on False River in Louisiana. There was an sweet, sweet elderly lady who lived next door, Miss May.

Every weekend Miss May would come over for fried catfish.  Towards the end of the meal, if she had some ketsup left on her plate, she'd take another piece of fish.  If she had a piece of catfish on her plate with no ketsup, she'd get a dab of ketsup. She said she always had to make it come out even! We laughed every single time about that!

I was "fixing" to start my sixth Brrrrr tree block, when I looked up and saw that my thread was almost gone. Figured I'd better look at the bobbin. It was almost empty, too.




Gosh, I haven't thought about Miss May in over 20 years. But I smiled today just remembering her always trying to make it come out even!

10 comments:

Carol said...

What a fun, fun memory!

Sharon said...

What a great memory. I chuckle when someone from the south calls me Miss, it's so much nicer than Ma'am!

Erica said...

Cute story. I have a friend who told me she and her husband had a similar routine when it came to pie and ice cream - always need to get more of the one that ran out first!

antique quilter said...

isn't it funny how memories come back
cute story....
hope you had more thread!
Kathie

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Aw what a cute memory! I'll bet Miss may was a stitch. Looks like you maybe would've come out even. ;-)

Gwen said...

Memories like that are the best! I have done that myself!

mascanlon said...

Lovely memory Vicky. And aren't you glad you hadn't chain piece severL dozen half square triangles with no thead...not that I have ever done that...nope, not me!

Dee said...

That's a sweet story. I'm glad you shared it!

Laura said...

I love how you call it "ketsup." Sweet story.

Vicky said...

Oh, gosh, I didn't even notice how I spelled that. My "southern" came out on that word!!! :)