Friday, January 11, 2013

Simple Joy


Often in life, one experiences joy.  Joy comes from many sources, many people, many experiences.  But for me, the most pure joy of all comes from the unexpected, the surprises. 

In early December, Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Company, posted on her blog about an auction she was having of some of her quilts.  All of the proceeds would go to the Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy relief.  Here's the link about that auction.

Because I had already donated to the Red Cross for Sandy, I wasn't going to participate in the auction.  But you know how that is!  While all of the quilts are stunning, the Quadrille quilt really tugged at my heartstrings.  So I placed my bid and promptly forgot about it in all the rush to wrap up things here and get ready for my trip home for Christmas.

When Carrie contacted me about my winning bid, I was floored.  I have been for the past few years collecting quilts from my favorite designers when an opportunity comes about.  Carrie's Quadrille will now be in my small collection.  But more importantly, the Red Cross and our East Coast friends are the recipients of Carrie's generosity.

She shipped to my office because I would be away.  That box was sitting there when I returned to work, but a whole day -- yes, 24 long hours -- passed before I could open it. 


Oh, my! What a tease she is!


 
 
 
Quadrille!
 

 

The quilt is stunning! The fabric is wonderful! 

The surprise -- the back! And here's the pure joy!  The labels!!


 
 


 
 
 
 
 
The label on the left says, "Quadrille, Made by Carrie Nelson for Miss Rosie's Quilt Co. Quilted by Louise Haley. Phoenix, Arizona. March 2009."

The label on the right says, "When memory with her golden key unlocks the past, I hope you will think of me."

Carrie also tucked in some goodies! I was blown away by the lovely pincushions she made, and especially by her lovely note!

Penny was totally blown away by the treats that Miss Rosie tucked in the package for her!  Thank you, Miss Rosie!!


 
 
Carrie, the quilt, the labels, are all so beautiful. Pure joy!

Thank you so much for the opportunity to own one of your quilts.  More importantly, thank you for your generosity in helping those in need.

You have a heart bigger than the State of New Jersey!!

12 comments:

Carolyn said...

And I can tell you first hand, NJ has a big heart! Congratulations on your winning bid. It's a beautiful quilt and a wonderful addition to your collection!

mascanlon said...

Oh this made me green with envy....it was me you outbid! I meant to set an allarm that would let me know if some jumped me but somehow missed it. I am very happy though it went to you, I know how much you'll love it.

julieQ said...

Vicki, I am so happy that you are so happy! It truly is a gorgeous quilt. but most of all it warmed your heart...isn't that what a quilt is for?? Enjoy!

Vicky said...

Oops, gosh, sorry I overbid you! You should have warned me you were bidding! I'm laughing here, though. I remember an auction when Judy Laquidara and I were bidding against each other, but she didn't know the quilt was a gift for her! LOL

Carol said...

Oh Vicky I'm so happy you got the quilt you really, really wanted. Carrie is the BEST!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful quilt. And yes, Carrie is wonderful! Have a happy weekend!

Deb said...

LUCKY YOU! It's beautiful and she's so thoughtful to send you all the extra stuff, and the labels are wonderful!

Darlene said...

Lucky, lucky you! I'm so glad you had the winning bid. :-) Carrie's labels on the back of her quilts are beyond incredible.

The additional goodies are like icing on the cake. :-)

Donna said...

Gorgeous quilt and what a treasure! Glad you won the bid. So sweet of Carrie to send you all the goodies :)
Hugs,
Donna

pdudgeon said...

awww, what a marvelous surprize! made me smile to know that you'll be cuddled up in such a wonderful quilt.

mascanlon said...

That must have been really funny! And even clearer indication of how well you knew what she'd like!

Vivian said...

What a great win for a good cause! But even more intriguing is your growing collection of designer quilts. I hope one day you'll do a post displaying your collection!