Saturday, January 26, 2013

Road to California 2013

The quilt show today!  It was misty rain, and, yes, my hair turned frizzy, but who cares!
 
Jane and I got there bright and early.  Everything is in one picture, so I'll try to describe what I purchased today.
 
Our first stop is always Primitive Gatherings.  Before it gets crowded!  Which is about ten minutes after the show opens!  The two patterns on the bottom left, "9" and "Four Score," are both dynamite.  I don't know if I'll ever make the 9 pattern as it's 2" nine patches, but it'll be fun to look at!!  :)  I bought the kit for the Four Score pattern.  I know, I know, I didn't need the kit but they're hard to resist in that booth.  I also picked up the Flag Day Penny Banner.  Kind of appropriate that that's the one thing my Penny was most interested in! 
 
 
 
 
The next stop was Stars & Scraps. I love that shop!  The owner is just the sweetest person I know.  I did a little damage in there but there *might* be a gift involved, so I won't show what I got there.
 
Third stop was Jaybird Quilts.  Got to hug on Julie, and also met Mary Ann, a friend who leaves comments on my blog.  It was so nice to be able to put a face to her name.  I got Julie's new BOM book, "Toes in the Sand."  This is such an ingenious BOM.  I am definitely going to make it!  It was good to see you again, Julie!  It's been about, what, four years now that we've been hugging at quilt shows?  Oh, and you have the sweetest significant other, but don't tell him I said that!! :)
 
Over on the far right beneath Penny is Scandinavian Christmas.  It's not the pattern.  It's the Iron-On Transfer Pack.  I mentioned to the Christmas Shoppe owner that I had the patterns and fabric, but I was kind of scared of all the marking.  She whipped out the iron-on transfers!  Wow!  I'm so glad I took a moment to discuss it with her.  This will make it so much easier for me - $11 well spent!! 
 
We walked up and down all the aisles.  My friend, Gay, had a quilt hanging in the show, and it was so beautiful.  I saw Thelma's two quilts.  Both gorgeous with stunning quilting!  There were a lot of ladies taking pictures of and discussing the Red and White Tribute.  I overheard wonderful comments on it.
 
The vendors were fun, but I guess because I browse so many online shops, most of it wasn't new to me.  A couple of things caught my eye ... patterns that I was familiar with that used a different color scheme, or fabric that I was familiar with that was used in a different way.  For instance, I saw a lot of cute children's clothing made from Camille's fabrics; also, aprons, placemats.  Inspiration!
 
The last thing I purchased were two Go Cutter dies. I probably would have passed even going in that booth, but there was a 25% off sign just beckoning to me. Picked up the Dresden plate and quarter square triangle dies. Don't know when I'll use them but at least they're here if inspiration ever strikes!
 
Jane and I usually go around twice, but I was hurting so badly that I couldn't go any more.  We went back to look at the new Berninas and also the new Sit Down Gammill, but I had had enough.  If I can get my back unkinked and feel up to it, I might drive over there again tomorrow.  It's only 15 minutes away.  If not, that's okay, too. 
 
All in all, a fun day.  I rarely get to go out and about because of work, so I really look forward to this show and the Long Beach show in July.  But between you and me, I like Road better!!
 
Going to stretch out now .......................
 


14 comments:

pdudgeon said...

so glad that you got to go to the quilt show, and found some goodies to bring home.

LuAnn said...

I love your post; almost as good as being there. You bought some great goodies. I want a better look at 9. The quilt on my current post has 1 1/2" nine patches; I love small blocks. Glad you got to go to Road!

Becky said...

Sounds like a lovely day. I have a difficult resisting Primitive Gatherings, too. How neat that you were able to see Thelma's quilts. Have a good rest of the weekend!

Marilyn said...

Vicky - you were a good girl today! I remember a year a few years back...I won't mention anymore. Glad you had fun but so sorry you are hurting. I am still debating on going tomorrow but this weather is so crazy. And, I want to be home before it is dark. I really want to hook up with you and Gay. I'll see how it is looking in the am. We had showers today and some fog - weird for this far inland.

I'll get up early and see what the weather and day look like.

xoxoxo,

Marily

Cathy said...

A quilt show makes a perfect weekend! I know what you mean about aching though. Walking on the cement floor all day is no treat. At the last show I went to, one of the vendors had installed their own gel flooring material on the floor of their space; it was heavenly!

Carolyn said...

I love that Scandinavian Christmas quilt! It sounds like you had a wonderful time, except for your back. I completely sympathize...was sitting at the table this morning and all of a sudden my back seized up. I've spent the rest of the day barely able to move, even with pain killers and muscle relaxants. I'd so hoped to visit a local quilt shop tomorrow, but don't think I'll be able to drive there. I hope your back is feeling better soon!

Darlene said...

I'm sorry you were in so much pain - ouchie. There was definitely a nap in order when you got home. Yes?

Lots of fabulous purchases. And, getting the iron on transfers was pure gold. woohoo!! That will life much, much easier.

mascanlon said...

It was fun to meet you in person my blog friend! And we really need to plan a chatty lunch some Saturday or Sunday, I am often up your way with my daughter and granddaughter just down the way.
Staying in Julie's booth is saving me some dollars but I might have to go check out a few booths tomorrow.

Wendy said...

Oh how I'd love to shop at Primitive Gatherings. I hope a nights rest will help you feel better.

antique quilter said...

looks like some fun projects, that flag is adorable! the other pg pattern looks good too, fun!
hmmm red and white ! hope after a good nights sleep and some rest you will feel better enough even to just go look at the quilts your thinking about again!
hmmm a nother trip to PG sounds in order too!
Kathie
cute penny was looking to see if there was anything for her! or maybe just loves that flag too!

Penny said...

I just love seeing what you brought home. That Four Score is mighty tempting. I love to buy patterns. As they say, Buy the pattern, buy the dream. There is such hope and promise in a pattern. I am glad you had a great day at the show. Now rest.

Carol said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I would love to go to Stars and Scraps...I've heard wonderful things about it!

julieQ said...

I hate it that your back is hurting you so badly...prayers for that are going up! but glad you got to go and had fun!

Katie Z. said...

I'm so glad you were able to go and had a good time!