Friday, August 04, 2006

Confessions Again!


I don't know why I tell on myself so much. Perhaps it's that Catholic upbringing? LOL

This is what my staircase looks like right now. About once a week or so I haul all the stuff back upstairs. My sewing area is downstairs just to the right of the staircase, and my stash room is upstairs. So I end up hauling stuff down to the cutting table, and then in the throes of creativity, I just pile it on the staircase to be dealt with later.

One thing I am going to do this weekend is get a cutting table set up again in the stash room. I think that will eliminate a lot of trips up and down stairs to the cutting table in my sewing room. Usually I just needed a strip or a hunk of something, but the whole piece has to come downstairs. That basket of Civil War stuff has definitely got to go back up. I almost tripped over it a few minutes ago.

I'm not lazy. I'm really not. But you could never tell it from this picture.

I sure hope I get some sewing done this weekend as I've run plumb out of quilty pictures to post. Yes, Judy, I left the PP templates at the office today, but I'm getting ready to draw it out again and go over to the Office Depot around the corner to make copies. While I'm there I should pick up ink cartridges. That would solve the copying problem! LOL

Four days and only one peek at an online BOM. No, I didn't order it. If it's still there next month, then it was meant to be. This challenge is SO hard! I've come to realize what an impulse shopper I am. A couple of weeks ago I would have poked that order button without even thinking! And it would have ended up in the BOM purgatory closet with the others.

Today was an interesting day. The 'former' employee made mistakes on the payroll that I handed out, and checks had to be recut. Found a major posting error when I was closing out the week and I had to deal with that before I could leave. But the good news is that I got everything balanced, another accounting project finished and off to the outside CPAs, and the backlog balanced. Bad news is that I don't think I'm going to get to Louisiana this fall as I planned. I don't see how I can when I'll be having a new accountant coming in to train. I did talk to the CEO about a vacation week, though, and we agreed to see how quickly the new hiring goes. I'm really homesick ...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, shoot! (on the no visit). Just when things get better in one way, it messes them up another. You WILL still get your retreat weekend(s), won't you? And is there any other time of year you can re-schedule a family visit?

Sweet P said...

Don't give up hope yet. Maybe the hiring process will go quickly and you'll still be able to go on your trip. I know what it's like to be homesick. I live in New Hampshire and my family lives in Minnesota.

Linda C said...

The holidays are killer for me--when I think I should be home and am not.

Up and down kinda day, sounds like. Here's hoping that you can log some sewing time.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, I want to see the picture(s)!

quiltpixie said...

sounds like you have a plan to solve your pile (I can picture it, my mother's house used to have such a pile on the stairs -- I can still hear her "take something up when you go by...")

Eileen said...

Think of all the exercise you're getting on those stairs. lol So it's not all bad having 2 floors full of quilting stuff.
Maybe the person you hire for the new position will be a quick learner, and you'll make it home this fall. We'll all be pulling for you.

Juliann in WA said...

I read in a quilt magazine that we need to put our ironing boards on one floor and our sewing machines on another so we can get a workout when we quilt - sounds like your two rooms are already giving you that opportunity! :)

Bonnie said...

Perhaps you might think about re-naming yourself - The Stairmaster.
ALL of my quilting stuff is downstairs, but I still manage to pile things on the stairs. It is so convenient!

Patti said...

I'm very sure you aren't lazy - many of us can relate! When I'm in the "throes of creativity" I stack up fabric like that on the end of my long cutting table. Lots of times I don't even take time to fold it after I've cut my one or two pieces out of it. There the stack sits - getting higher and higer - until I can't stand to look at it any more. That's when I stop sewing long enough to fold it all and put it away. I'm sure if the stacks weren't right there at the end of the cutting table they wouldn't be folded nearly so often.

Shelina said...

My mother did that with the steps too. I do put stuff on the steps, but I usually take it on the next trip up. I always seem to have to pick up something on my way upstairs. Moving the cutting table to the stash room sounds like it would work.

Granny said...

Vick, my whole house looks like your staircase. Postpone that trip til crawfish are in season and I'll meet you there! :)

Judy L.