Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Greetings from Louisiana

This has been a difficult trip. The day before I got here, my brother was admitted to the hospital. This is a repeat of a problem he had about three years ago. It looks like he might not have to have a very difficult surgery, but we're taking it a day at a time. Please keep good thoughts on this one.

Needless to say, I haven't been doing any sightseeing or picture taking. However, I did screw up their house alarm today and had the cops come pay me a visit. Sheesh! You just can't take me anywhere!

I've been driving his cute little Jeep Wrangler back and forth to the hospital, about 25-30 miles - down country roads - with sugarcane trucks pulling out in front of me - and getting behind them doing five miles an hour for ten mile stretches. The joys of country living. Driving, though, has given me the opportunity to see a little of the back country. There are some gorgeous homes off the beaten track. I would love to live down here. There's nothing prettier than tall sugarcane swaying in the breeze, the field surrounded by hundred year old oaks dripping in moss.

I did stop last night on the way home at a country grocery store that has the best fried catfish and shrimp in the whole world. Lordy, that was good! Will have to do that one more time before I leave.

I might venture around a bit tomorrow when I leave the hospital and see if I can't fine a few interesting things to photo. There are a couple of street signs in New Iberia that I want to see if I can find again. Too funny!

20 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey kiddo - - I don't believe in coincidences--- the timing for your trip was perfect. I'm glad you're there for them and I'm glad you're there for you...it's hard being away from family in a crisis time. Flashback...I remember as a kid getting sticks of sugarcane in my trick or treat bucket---did you?

mascanlon said...

As Melanie said, sometimes its just meant to be. Now you can see for yourself and not depend on phone calls. Nothing like being there.

Linda said...

Your in the best place to be. Good thoughts your way!

Quilterbee said...

Vicky,
I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers for all of you. I was hoping this would be a fun relaxing vacation for you and I'm sorry that your brother is ill and in the hospital. I'm glad to know that you are there with him. I am sure it means the world to him to have you there.

julia said...

I keep your brother in my thoughts...and deeply hope it helps...

Unknown said...

HUGS.

You've had a rough time lately. I hope being home will make things a bit easier, and rejuvenate your spirit some.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Sending T&P's for your brother. We had the police visit when we kept pressing the panic button in a house we were looking at~ even the realtor didn't realize what that button was for. ;-o Oops. Enjoy the country!

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

My thoughts and prayers for you and your brother. At least you're there with him.

antique quilter said...

I bet your just so happy to be home and be there now for your brother. Hope he recovers soon and you do get to explore a bit more in the area, maybe even find that retirement home your looking for!
Kathie

Carol said...

I totally agree...you were meant to be there. I'm sending you lots and lots of good thoughts. Take good care!

Becky said...

So sorry to hear about your brother's health problems. Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I was in Baton Rouge last weekend. It's been years since I was in Louisiana in November. It was glorious. My grandfather was from New Iberia. It's a great town. Relax and enjoy!

Miss Jean said...

Louisiana is beautiful!! If you get to New Orleans, eat a praline from Southern Candymakers for me.

Have a great vacation.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

eek! i'm sorry things are not as planned... but at the same time it's good that you are there!

Julia said...

I hope that your brother will be okay and recover quickly!

As I have never been down south, I would love to see a picture of the sugar cane fields and the oak tress dripping with moss. That's sounds absolutely gorgeous! Take care and enjoy time spent with family and home!

Mimi said...

Sorry to hear about your brother. I remember your visit last time when he was ill. Do try to get some enjoyable time in while on vacation. They come so far and few between. As for the sugarcane, I remember sites in Puerto Rico driving behind an overfilled truck with sugar cane in it and when they would get to an over pass, the top of the truckload would get sheared off and sugar can would go flying all over the road. It's very tasty to chew on. Enjoy the rest of your trip Vickie.

Judy Laquidara said...

Glad you were able to get some good food and get to do a little sightseeing. Still praying for your brother.

Perry said...

So sorry to hear your brother isn't well. I hope he will be better in no time. At least you are close by and not in LA for the present. As for fried shrimp, I am so envious! One of these days I hope to get to Houston again and eat some decent seafood. Actually I would settle for Pappadeau's in Dallas, lol.

Anonymous said...

Gail said to everyone hello from Louisiana. She's a good cook!!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I've been thinking about you and your brother this week. I hope that things are looking better now. Keep us posted!!!

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

Welcome to Louisiana! Hope everything works out for your brother. If things become extremely stressful, there are enough quilt shops down here offering plenty of therapy. Take Care.