Sunday, October 23, 2011

Time is Flying By

Time is flying by and I seem to be stuck. I'm a real black and white person, and I'm dealing with a huge gray area now that's totally driving me nuts. Guess I should look at the bright side of it ... at least I have a reason now for my "nuttiness"!!

No sewing still. I hope to get things in some semblance of order to be able to sew in a couple of weeks. I was sitting here a while ago thinking about what I need to work on. I think I'm going to tackle bindings first since those are the easiest. Then I'll prep backings and hopefully get some of these tops off to be quilted.

I have several tops that just need final assembly or maybe a final border. Those are on the to-do list. Yes, Judy, I'll finally figure out the mitered borders on Bears in the Barnyard!

When I get all of that done, I'm going to pick one of those BOMs that I started and just do it. Just going to eat this elephant one bite at a time.

I need a vacation - badly need a vacation. I miss my brother and miss Louisiana. Maybe I'll get some time off before the end of the year.

Speaking of Louisiana, how 'bout that LSU! Geaux Tigers! I hung an LSU flag on the *inside* of a window here. A couple of years ago when LSU won the national title, I had a flag outside and someone stole it. Guess they weren't a fan, huh? Two weeks until the LSU-Alabama game. That one makes me nervous! If there are any Alabama fans reading this .... well, how do I say this nicely? .... I hope you lose! Now, don't go hating on me. I say that with the utmost affection! :)

I discovered the freezer was off yesterday afternoon. It seems a breaker had tripped. When I got it back on, the digital display told me it had been off 72+ hours. I'd like to know how it knew that if there was no power to the freezer. Anyway, everything was warm so it will all get tossed. Unfortunately, I don't have garbage pickup until Thursday, so I just left it all in there for now. Don't want stinky garbage cans in my garage. Darn, I sure wanted some ice cream last night! Oh, well, I'll just get take-out until I can toss everything out of there and start over.

If I had been sewing, I would have known that my freezer was off. The Bernina is on the same circuit as the freezer.......

And I need a new computer. This one is driving me nuts. It's about two years old, and that seems to be as long as they last for me. Guess I'll call our IT folks next week and see what they can suggest. Also I think I'm going to go shopping for a laptop with an air card. Anyone have any experience with those? Thought that might be best as I seem to have a lot of internet connection problems here, although it's all working -- for now.

What else? Buying fabric? Not much. Although I'm eagerly awaiting all the new things that will be revealed at Market. Jane's going. I'm officially jealous!

I see that Kimberly has up the new Bunnyhill Designs BOM, Merry Merry Snowmen. I always look forward to Anne's Christmas BOM. I love those little snowmen heads peeking out here and there. Yes, I poked that button!

Brenda Riddle has a new pattern up that's totally gorgeous, "By My Hand." I can't wait to get this one. I think I have enough of her beautiful fabrics to make this from stash. Of course, buying more would be okay, too! ;)

Penny is stuck to me like glue this weekend. Yesterday I opened the garage door to get a little more light in there while trying to reset the freezer display. As soon as she heard the door open, she started howling. That funny doxie kind of howl. I wonder if she does that every day when I leave. I hope not!

Oh, oh, I went to this fancy shindig Friday night. The folks I was with pointed to a very attractive woman and told me it was Opal from Days of Our Lives or one of those soap operas. I was clueless. LOL. I guess living here is totally wasted on someone like me! I did attend two events recently where Dean Koontz and his wife were in attendance. I shook his hand, and when I got home I ordered one of his books on Kindle. I just started it. "A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog Named Trixie." I think I'm going to need tissues. But if I ever meet him again I can say I've read one of his works.

I tried to take some pictures of the leaves all over the ground but the computer is so slow now that I couldn't get them to download. Well, I guess I could have gotten that done, but I'm too impatient. Those probably wouldn't have been very exciting pictures to anyone, but they are to me. Considering it's hot hot hot here 10 months out of the year, leaves falling usually mean cooler temps are coming. Of course, it's SoCal, so it could be hot another couple of months. Honestly, I don't think they even need weather folks here. They should just post a one-minute picture with a sign that says "HOT AGAIN"!

That's it from here. Sorry it's been so long without a post, and really sorry there are no pics. Hopefully I'll everything ironed out and get back to normal here very soon.

10 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for the update. Yes, I don't think I would want to live where you don't get the seasons. I'll even take the snow for the few weeks to not be in the heat all the time.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Thank you for checking in! I'm sorry about your freezer. My DH is a fan of Dean Koontz. I hope your weeks start slowing down. Have a great day!

Angela Nash said...

eeek - freezer warning - my fridge broke and it sat for about 4 days before the new one was going in. By that time the smell inside was so bad I nearly died when it cracked open. And that was WITH me emptying it of all the food before it became totally warm.

You may want to empty it now, or just plan on sealing it shut forever. Or buy a gas mask ;)

antique quilter said...

oh geesh...I think you need to get rid of that food now
sorry to say, after one day it was horrible with the hurricane we just had.
ok, I think you need to just go ahead and book that vacation now! you deserve go home for thanksgiving!
they will all understand!
I can't wait for you to start sewing again!
oh my I LoVE snowmen and collect them so that snowman quilt is just so adorable, OMG and love the fabrics she used!!!!! and well, Bren's ABC sampler style quilt is wonderful too.
your tempting me missy.
Kathie

kansaswx said...

Maybe you mean Opal from All My Children. Her name is Jill Larson. If that's who you could have talked to....I'm officially jealous. She's a great actress and a really, really nice person.

Unknown said...

Sorry have to say Roll Tide!
I'm heading to Market and can't wait to see what everyone has been keeping top secret!

Amy said...

I agree. The By My Hand is fabulous!

Laura said...

Good to hear from you, Vicky. I love seeing what you buy and sew, so I hope you can get back to the sewing soon. I just quilted a quilt for the first time (have previously "quilted by check"), and I'm afraid I may be hooked, at least on quilting small quilts. My LQS may find itself out of King Tut thread soon! ;-)

Sherry said...

It was good to get an update. . . .been wondering how you have been.

I'm sorry to hear about the spoiled food; had that happen after Irene hit the east coast.

I've read several of Dean Koontz's novels -- 'cause I like horror genre. Can't say that I plan on reading the one that you are --- even though it has been almost 3 years it still brings back too many memories of losing my Bogart.

Our Casey does a little howl when we are getting her food ready --- it's really cute when she starts looking like a coyote (with her head back) and then doing a silly howl.

Looking forward to the next update.

Bennett and Graves said...

The leaves are falling cuz it's Still Hot. :0)

Read Fear Nothing, my favorite Koontz
Gayle (in Ontario, Calif)