Sunday, November 25, 2012

Saturday Sewing

I didn't get as far along today as I had hoped because my back was hurting too badly - and because these blocks were taking longer than I had anticipated.


I had to square up each of the half square triangles.  They were just a sliver too big.  I hate doing that but it's a necessary evil, especially when I'm working with precuts, in this case, a Jelly Roll.  Those pinked edges give me fits.  Apparently I don't always line up the very edge of the fabric, but instead leave a smidgeon of the pinked edge peeking out.  Anyway, that took over an hour and is what started my backing hurting.  Sitting too long without getting up to walk around.

Once those were done, I assembled eight or ten beans and then decided to call it a day.  Then it took me a while to get all my gear back in the car.  It was all worth it, though, because I had fun sewing with this wonderful group of ladies.

I came home and stretched out prone for a while and my back relaxed.  Then I fell asleep.  It's now 2:04 a.m. and I'm raring to go.  I think I'll assemble a few more beans and then head back upstairs.

Tomorrow (or is it today?) I'll finish making the beans and start sashing them while laundry is going.

I've totally enjoyed these four days off.  I usually wish I had done other things on long weekends, but this time I did exactly what I wanted to do.  And you know what?  I feel rested and ready to make the big push to Christmas!

For those who will ask, the pattern is String Beans by Loft Creations and the fabric is Reunion by Sweetwater.

13 comments:

Carol said...

What fun...perfect long weekend! I'll be watching for lots more sewing...it's soooooooooo good for you!

antique quilter said...

sorry your back hurts but I am so happy to see progress!
very cute pattern! and great fabrics so light and airy.
take breaks today but keep sewing!!! I will be sewing the day away too
kathie

Darlene said...

Those are some stinkin' cute string beans. Adorable quilt, Vicky.

I'm sorry your back started hurting - dabnabbit! I'm even more glad you decided to stop and take a much needed rest break. Don't push yourself too hard today - you've had three awesome days. woohoo!!!!

Melanie said...

I always think blocks will take less time than they do.... Enjoy your Sunday.

Donna said...

I like it! I especially like that the background fabric has a little more pattern to it while still reading neutral. Can't wait to see the finished top.

Mimi said...

I am glad you gave us the pattern name. I was one of those who was going to ask. LOL. They are adorable.

pdudgeon said...

sooo glad that you had an enjoyable time sewing. rest your back today and get some play time in with Penny. huggs for both of you!
pam

Katie Z. said...

Bummer about your back, but I am so glad you were able to do what you wanted for your break!

Carolyn said...

Sounds like you had a wonderfully relaxing holiday weekend! I'm exhausted after mine...I think I need a nap! Your beans look great, can't wait to see what comes next. Take it easy on your back though!

Kim Brackett said...

So cute! I love that pattern.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Those blocks and fabric are adorable! I like to make my HSTs a tad bigger to square them up, but it is tough on a back to do it all at once. Take it easy for your back's sake, but woo hoo for blocks made! :)

AnnieO said...

I loved Stephanie's pattern and bought it immediately--it has been waiting it's turn. Yours look terrific! What a wonderful way to spend the weekend--glad it went just the way you'd hoped.

pdudgeon said...

took a second look at that pattern, ran to my 'leftover' pile and grabbed some of the extra strips of "Blitzen' and all the remains of the yardage, and hurried back to my 'puter to order the pattern. This will all go into a Christmas lap quilt for little old me! Thanks Vicky!!