Thursday, March 23, 2006

Very First Quilt


My very first quilt. Nothing spectacular, just a triple rail. This was the result of my first quilting class in Sept. 2001. I was off and running!

I need to store my quilts better. I pulled this one out of a stack of quilts in the closet, and it's horribly wrinkled and has deep creases. I need to come up with some system for storage. I am going to find something for my foyer area in which to display some of the quilts, and I know those will be refolded more regularly. If anyone has any suggestions on how they store theirs, I'd love to hear them.

Today was a bear at work. I won't go into details except to say that my Acctg. personnel decided to post things differently and managed to wipe out the entire 2006 accounting system. After many hours of anguish, I was able to restore it from yesterday's backups, only losing today's work. Sheesh, you can't turn your back for a second!

I got the most beautiful letter today from a lady whom I have not met. She's affectionately called Grandma Jane by my friend, Sally. I am not going to be able to attend a retreat this spring, and so Grandma Jane is going to take my place. Grandma Jane sent a picture of herself and also pictures of a few of her quilts. What a love! I have no idea of her age, but I'd guess it's over 80. Getting her letter is one of those unexpected things that made my heart sing. As Jeanne would say, a Gratitude!

I'm sitting here at my desk and looking at the things I hung above it - my court reporting certification, association certificates, my presidency plaque. I don't know why I hung those again. It's been 12 years since I retired. I guess it was such a major part of my life for so long, over 20 years, that it's hard to let go. I really should hang a quilt there instead.

Hooray! I finally got Direct TV to agree to come out Saturday between 9-3:00 to replace the two boxes that haven't worked for a couple of weeks. I've called every single night. Persistance pays off. Well, it might have been the threats of legal action....... now I get to quilt all day while I wait for them! :)

Thinking of Judy tonight on her travels toward home. Judy, safe travels. I'm jealous!! LOL

10 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Depending on how much space you have to store your quilts (folding takes up less room) and how many spare pillow cases you have haging around, Liz Porter of Fons & Porter literally stuffs her quilts into pillow cases - you can't stuff the same way twice...
Also the best method is flat on a bed - if you have a spare...

Anonymous said...

that's a lovely first quilt!! good luck with the storage. I treat my quilts terribly, so can offer no ggod advice.

Laurie Ann said...

Your first quilt is beautiful! My first quilt was turned immediately into a dog bed. I was so so bad, but the dogs like it!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

That's a great first quilt. Great that you took a class. Great that the pattern was easy enough for a beginner so that you would finish it and make another - and another - and...!!!

Storage - maybe for the smaller quilts you could try wrapping them around a pool noodle? That way they wouldn't get a creases. If you put too much weight on them - it makes them worse, so try not to stack things on top of them - maybe a seperate shelf for each quilt - maybe you could roll the bigger quilts around pillows or something.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Pam said...

Vicky, how lucky for you to have pictures of your first quilts, I have been quilting for a long time and have very few pictures of my quilts, actually only started taking pictures about 7 yrs ago when I started quilting for charity. There is no way I could track down all the quilts I have made. Now I know better and usually get a pic while the label is hot off the press with the last stitch having just been put in.

Linda C said...

Simple and effective quilt. My first quilt is the one that my husband owns and it is huge! One of these days I'll hop up on my stepladder and try to take a picture of it.

Cher said...

if you can store your quilts as evelyn said, rolled-that is best-stacking them on an extra bed is next best...flat and upsidedown to prevent the top from fading
Nice first quilt!!! I need to get mine out and put up a photo..thanks for the inspiration!

Vicky said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll dig them all out this weekend and either roll or lay them out flat, probably some of both. They're going to be ruined like they are. Again, thanks for the tips!

Laurie said...

Vicky
I was going to suggest rolling, perhaps on a cardboard roll from Joann's...and the bed idea is great as well. I have also heard of putting a roll of tissue paper at the "crease" when you fold it to soften the crease.
Hugs
laurie

Jeanne said...

Wow -- you've only been quilting since 2001 and your work is beautiful!
My quilts get folded ...
Jeanne