Monday, May 04, 2009

Daisy Update

My little sweet puppy is in the hospital on IVs. She had gotten dehydrated and was refusing all food. She was throwing up her pills and even water. So I got her in on an emergency basis this morning, and they decided to keep her at least for the day.

I talked to the vet right at 5:00. He wanted to keep her tonight and maybe one more night. He added an anti-nausea medicine to her IV as well as something to stimulate her appetite and vitamins. He said they made up a mixture of a prescription dog food and water and had to force feed her because she wouldn't eat it.

He said that her heart is still compromised. The meds were probably making her nauseous and she was refusing food because she was dehydrated. It sounds complicated. I just want her to get well.

He said he had just checked on her, and she was sitting up in the kennel listening to all the sounds and seemed more alert. She was still not "reactive," whatever that means, but he felt she was doing better.

I'm so worried, but I know she's getting the best possible care right now. He doesn't want to send her home until he knows she will eat and take her pills.

What an awful couple of weeks this has been. It's really quiet and empty feeling in the house. Might be a good time to do some housecleaning.

22 comments:

Vicki W said...

Oh, poor Daisy! I hope she is home soon.

Marilyn Smith said...

Vicky - have been thinking about Daisy all day. I know how much you will miss her tonight. Just want her all healthy.

Get some rest. It would be good for you.

ILY,

Marilyn

Judy Laquidara said...

I'm so sorry she's so sick but know she's getting good care and hope you get a good night's rest too.

Miss Jean said...

I hope that Daisy gets well really soon. I hate it when my Maggie is sick. She had something in her eye that was causing some mucous and I about had a nervous breakdown. So I can imagine how badly you feel. Keep us posted.

antique quilter said...

like you said she is getting the best possible care, now take care of yourself, maybe cleaning the house will keep you busy and productive always a good thing. Hey so is making a quilt!!!!
Hope you slept though, sleep is good too!
Kathie

Yvette said...

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Remember, she is getting good care where she.

Melzie said...

hugs and prayers for your sweet furbaby. :( hope she is well and home very very soon. xoxo melzie

Julia said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Daisy is in the hospital. I hope that she recovers soon and is back home quickly. (((hugs)))

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Praying for you and Daisy!

His Office, My Studio said...

I hope Daisy had a restful night and doing well this morning. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Sharon said...

SO sorry to see this post, Daisy is in good hands, hope she is home soon
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Oh no--Daisy, I'm sending prayers for you. Vicky, your getting some also. But, she will be fine-shes in the hospital and all will be good soon. Hugs, Bobbie

Kristine said...

I'm sorry to hear about Daisy. I'm glad that she is getting the care that she needs right now, and that the vet's office is the best place for her at the moment.

Housecleaning is good hard work that will help keep you busy, and the house will be spotless when Daisy comes back home. Just be sure to rest yourself, too...

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Laura said...

We get so attached to our doggies, don't we? My two poodles are my precious little boys. Hang in there, Vicky, and I'll be thinking about you and Daisy.

Lori in South Dakota said...

Vicky--I feel so bad for you and Daisy. I will think lots of good positive thoughts for you and her.

Brenda said...

It's awful when they get ill isn't it. Hope Daisy is home soon.

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you and Daisy - dont worry - she will be home soon :)

Anonymous said...

Oh poor puppy...I hope she is on the mend.

Yvonne said...

Oh Vicky....I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy. I hope she's better and home soon.

suz said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy. I'm sure they are taking excellent care of her and she'll be home and her old self before you know it.

Tricia said...

So sorry about your little one! I am glad that you seem sure that she will recover soon. Take care of yourself!
Tricia

Kim said...

Poor Daisy baby, and poor you! I hope you're both better soon!